X

Fork Replacement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Replacement

I tweaked the left fork on my 2000 Kat 600. Just curious about the steps involved with replacing either just the left or going ahead and doing both. I am pretty good with non-engine related repairs. Is this something I should attempt on my own or pay the shop 80 bucks to do it for me?

Thanks, Jarrett
    Think safe, ride safe.

It is very easy to just replace the entire front fork, just a matter of taking the wheel off, taking the fender and brace off, and undoing the bolts in the upper tree. What do you mean by "tweaked?" Did you bend it? If so, I don't think it's advisable to repair it, replacing it may be your best bet.
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Yeah it is bent. The shop I had it checked out at said the part that is bent is the inner tube, Suzuki part number 51110-08f00. The plan was to replace either the left fork ONLY, meaning the entire thing not just the tube, OR replace both forks. If it is not such a hard job to do both then that might be the best route.
      Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately that part new is about $175-$180/piece! I discovered nicks on my right inner tube when doing a fork seal replacement and ended up ordering a replacement set of forks off e-bay. If interested, I could probably sell you the left fork from my bike (either whole or just the tube). At the moment it is disassembled and will need new bushings and seals. The inner tube has a few light scratches, but according to others on the board, they can be smoothed out using a whetting stone. If you have means to another fork though, I'd go that route, as I was planning on filling the nicks and using my original forks as a spare set.

Comment

That would be great if you would be willing to let it go either as a piece or as a whole. I have yet to find one but I am still looking. How about I look for another 2 weeks and I will let you know. I could always go the new route, $208.39 from the shop I was at (I know I can find a new one online cheaper), but I would rather go used and keep the repair costs to a minimum. Just curious, how much would you be askin?
          Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Shopping around for two weeks sounds like a fine idea, as I'm not entirely sure I want to part with it anyways. As far as how much I would ask, I'm thinking prolly $100 shipped...but keep in mind that it does still need new bushings and seals, so that would also add to the cost. I might entertain other offers too, so let me know in a couple weeks if you still need it, and we can talk more seriously. Good luck!

Comment

I still have a pair of brand new Suzuki inner fork tubes for the 98-02 Kat 600's here for sale. $250 gets you BOTH fork tubes (left and right), or I'll split 'em for $180 for one (I really want them gone).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
              CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
              The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the offer Aussie. I think I will take CP up on his offer... not a bad deal at all.
                Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Working...
                X