Need alittle help please...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need alittle help please...

Hello everyone,

I have a 1990 Katana 750, It will run all day long just sitting there but once i get on it to ride it will go about 50 yards and then just quit, it will start right back up but if i start to ride again it just quits again.
    If someone could please let me know whats going on with this thing i would really appreciate it....

Thanks in advance....

Did you just get this bike or did you ride it last season?
    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a problem with either the petcock or the float valves.
      At idle the carbs are supplied with enough gas, as you rev the engine they run out.
      Something in the gas supply line isn't allowing enough flow. Could even be something simple like a pinched fuel line.

Try revving it (sitting still, in neutral) at 3000/4000 RPM and see if it dies..
      (Set a fan in front of the engine if you can to prevent overheating.)

Comment

Check your Kick stand switch...

Comment

Alex_750- I just bought it 3 days ago, he said its been sitting for 4 years all it needed was the carbs cleaned, well i took the tank off cleaned it out put some good gas in it and it fired right up...

Black_peter- I can sit there and rev and rev it wont miss a beat, it wont quit at all just sitting there, only when i'm moving.

SnowBandit- If your kick stand is up, it shouldnt matter should it ? How would you check it ?
          Last edited by shavez; 03-26-2009, 12:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by shavez View Post
            SnowBandit- If your kick stand is up, it shouldnt matter should it ? How would you check it ?
            Vibration can bounce the side stand around, if it bounces off the switch it will kill the engine.

Comment

spit sputter and die, fuel problem. just up and quit dead, electrical problem
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                spit sputter and die, fuel problem. just up and quit dead, electrical problem
                That is poetry right there....

Comment

I agree, that's beautifully put.

Comment

I have a weak spring on mine and it will drop a tiny bit and the motor will just cut out... You could tape the switch down and see what happens...

Comment

Ive got a 98 kat was riding perfecrt and then started doing the same thing...i believe that mine started with the oil..it was low i added oil..it road fine till it was low again then she died in traffic..so i put in more oil..shes now doing exactly what your bike is doing..sat im going to change the oil and the filter if that doesnt work..hate to say it but im getting rid of her...
                      pveity = 100%

Comment

Originally posted by pveity View Post
                        Ive got a 98 kat was riding perfecrt and then started doing the same thing...i believe that mine started with the oil..it was low i added oil..it road fine till it was low again then she died in traffic..so i put in more oil..shes now doing exactly what your bike is doing..sat im going to change the oil and the filter if that doesnt work..hate to say it but im getting rid of her...
                        Where's the oil going?

Comment

he has no idea, I asked the same thing. If you're gonna sell your bike cause you can't figure out were the oil is going, maybe you should not have one.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll try the kickstand switch but if its not that what other electrical part could it be??
                            You would think if it was electrical it would do it just sitting there to.

Thanks again...

Comment

Originally posted by shavez View Post
                              You would think if it was electrical it would do it just sitting there to.
                              Nope, vibration is the bane of motorcycle electrics..
                              If it isn't the side stand switch;
                              *Ignition switch, try monkeying with the wires while the engine is running.
                              Mine went wonky and the tiniest bump or wiggle would kill the power.
                              *Harness leading to the kill switch (right switch pod) a short or frayed wires could be killing the engine.
                              *CDI cable, loose or dirty connector, frayed wires.
                              *Coil connectors, under the tank. scary place for wires.

Bottom line;
                              Everything from you sitting on the bike to turning the bars to what you ate for lunch can make or break a dodgy connection. Wiggling wires is a good tool, as is disconnecting every connection, cleaning it, adding dielectric grease and reconnecting them firmly. A lot of work but it is a big red check mark off the list of things that are, or could go wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X