X

Can’t get the proper gap for valve adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can’t get the proper gap for valve adjustment

While doing a valve adjustment on my '91 600, a ran into a problem with the # 2 exhaust valve. I can't get the proper gap. The tappet screw and valve maintains constant contact no matter which I adjust it. The valve springs just contracts or expands. Does anyone have a clue as to what might be wrong? Thanks!

SLICK

are you sure you are on the correct timing for that cylinder and that set of valves?
    if not you may need to rotate the crank 180
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Cylinder's not at TDC on compression stroke.
      Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
      Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Yeah... your goofing something up.
        When the engine is cold and the cam rotated correctly the valve is seated (can't move) and the tappet is free (because the engine is cold).

Comment

No, I'm not sure. How do I find out, and how do I adjust the crank?

Comment

Have a read here: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/Katana/index.html

Comment

Ahhhh see there?

You really need a manual.
              Read this:
              motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Then this:

Trinc's procedure is for a 98+ 750 but the plot is the same.

Nice shooting Smokey!
              Last edited by Black_peter; 03-26-2009, 11:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I just adjusted mine over the weekend, a manual will help. If you have questions, PM me and I can help you out.
                sigpic

Comment

Don't know how I "goofed" anything up - not saying that I didn't. I adjusted the other valves just fine. I'm still new at this, so please bare with me. If I missed something, its simply because I did not know.

Comment

I'll be doing mine this weekend too.
                    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by STL SLICK View Post
                      Don't know how I "goofed" anything up - not saying that I didn't. I adjusted the other valves just fine. I'm still new at this, so please bare with me. If I missed something, its simply because I did not know.
                      Don't take offense, I just meant that you didn't have something right.
                      Obviously if you are asking about how to rotate the crank I doubt that you know what you're doing. That isn't a bad thing.. That is why people are here.
                      But adjusting the valves without having the cams in the right position:
                      1. will prevent you from being able to really adjust them (the symptom you described)
                      2. cause a whole lot of damage.. (think all new valves, pistons etc.)

New to bikes? Not a problem here, Someone has never even changed the oil before?
                      That puts them along with 5436 other members here. I think the links that Smokey and I posted should get you 99% there. If you have more questions post them up, PM me directly or jdm5770 offered the same. I won't bash someone for not knowing how to do a job, only for not admitting they don't know how to do a job! Heck I have given out my phone number as have many members here to help out other members..

Lets get you fixed up!

PS.
                      The big thing to remember about adjusting valves is that you only adjust some with the crank at one position.. The rest are adjusted at a different position..
                      Last edited by Black_peter; 03-26-2009, 11:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                        PS.
                        The big thing to remember about adjusting valves is that you only adjust some with the crank at one position.. The rest are adjusted at a different position..

That's the key, and I found at first it to be a little confusing but if you look at the chart when the cams are in the "C" position, you only adjust the valves in the picture that are labeled with a "C" then spin the crank (leave the bike in gear and turn the back tire) to the "D" position and adjust the valves labeled "D" (I am referring the the above links given) As with BP, PM me and will give you my cell number and I can walk you through it; I know it can be frustrating at time
                        sigpic

Comment

Roger. I will have to call one of you guys on this one. Can you please send me that number?
                          Last edited by STL SLICK; 03-26-2009, 12:26 PM.

Comment

PM sent
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X