X

Troubles in the rain?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubles in the rain?

I have a 94 600 Kat. I ride it most every day to and from school (roughly 10 mi each way) and park it outside infront of the school. About 5 weeks ago it rained ALL DAY. On the way in, bike was fine. On the way back just a mile or so in I noticed it was starting to idle a bit low and irregular. then it started to misfire, jerk around a bit as i let off the clutch and then became rather nonresponsive to the throttle. It died about 3/4 the way home.

I figured it was the plugs (hadn't changed them in a while) so my buddy and i tossed the kat in the back of his truck and took it home. Next day i change the plugs. The old plugs acutally looked pretty good as I swapped them out but after they were replaced the bike ran again like normal so I thought i had solved the problem.

So today it rains ALL DAY again (1st time its rained the whole day since the previous incident). My Kat is covered at home but sits exposed to the elements all day during school. so once again on the way in, the bike ran fine. But on the way back I start getting the same symptoms but not till later in the ride and i was able to make it all the way back.

Any ideas what it might be? is the water just coincidental? is it the carbs? plug wires? water somehow getting in the tank? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hey man, I'm assuming you're parking either by the Student Center or in the huge lot behind the Chem/Phys building. If you have an M pass for UK you SHOULD be able to park in the garage on Rose St. right across from the Biological Sciences Building.

As for the rain, check to ensure your battery connections are remaining dry and firmly attached. My bike loved the rain, ran perfect.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I'm a dental student so I park right behind the HSRB (literally steps from the dental school). If all else fails, I could park in the covered lot on Rose st (would pain me as that would add a ~5 minute walk).

Hadn't considered the battery conections...would that cause more problems than just starting the bike? both times it started up fine and even ran well for the first couple miles.

never had any problems with the rain until recently. Seems to hold up fine to light rain, but the all day downpours (like today) are now causing a problem

Comment

I would guess the spark plug wires or cracked coil
        I would suggest when it acts up spraying the wires with WD-40
        It was designed to expell water/moisture
        MAKE SURE IT IS NOT RUNNING WHEN YOU SPRAY DOWN WITH WD-40 IT WILL CATCH FIRE IF THERE IS ANY ARCING
        Try letting the engine warm up more before departing this will also help dry things out
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Perhaps this sounds trite......but have you considered buying a cover for the bike??? (I Know theft might be an issue.)Or you may want to consider buying gas-line de-icer in case moisture is getting into your tank.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
            I would guess the spark plug wires or cracked coil
            I would suggest when it acts up spraying the wires with WD-40
            It was designed to expell water/moisture
            MAKE SURE IT IS NOT RUNNING WHEN YOU SPRAY DOWN WITH WD-40 IT WILL CATCH FIRE IF THERE IS ANY ARCING
            Try letting the engine warm up more before departing this will also help dry things out
            I thought about replacing the wires and coils when i did the plugs, but opted to try the $5 fix first. The WD-40 sounds like a really good idea so I'll give it a try. If that doesn't solve it then I think you're right and the wires and coils should be next on the list.

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
            Perhaps this sounds trite......but have you considered buying a cover for the bike??? (I Know theft might be an issue.)Or you may want to consider buying gas-line de-icer in case moisture is getting into your tank.
            I have a cover for it but not sure how practical it would be seeing as i would have to lug it up and back. plus it's only heat resistant so i would have to let the pipes cool down for a couple minutes before i put it on...but still a good option non-the-less.
            Last edited by beromn; 03-25-2009, 04:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

ya get a cover.

Comment

Walmart has a $20 universal cover that will work for the Kats, light weight, easily fit in a tank bag, and has it's own case.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

on thing i noticed on my pre is the way the airbox sits between the tank and seat. I understand why they do it, for easy access for air, but in the rain i think the filter will get wet and then it runs rich and fouls the plugs. Next time it acts up check the air filter, if its wet that could very well do it.

Comment

Hard to tell, but wondering if maybe it has nothing to do with the bike sitting in the rain, and maybe more to do with the actual ride in the rain. Starts up and runs fine to begin with after sitting out like that, and then acts up part way into the ride. Water is getting up into something. The air box is a good culprit given your description of the symptoms. Electrical problems usually either are intermittant, causing the bike to buck and surge or constant, causing the bike to lose power altogether.

Comment

I used to ride mine in the rain often . I had no choice all of one year . Stayed outside under a cover (still got wet under the cover) , and ran fine . Then once it died on me in the rain on the highway . Later I found my signal generator was on the outs . But here's what you can do .... get you some dielectric grease and do up all the electrical connections with it . Remember , bikes ARE a motor vehicle , and as such are designed to work in inclimate times .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

My best guess: water going into a connector, such as the run-stop switch on the control pod or one of the pigtail connectors for the bike. Time to rain-proof it:

See http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94288 for today's post on how to (electrical spray cleaner, inspect/clean-further/repair-as-necessary, pack with dielectric grease, reassemble).

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Change your plug wires, plugs, clean ans grease all electrical connections

Your engine should be able to run under water ( providing the intake is open with not so much as a sputter. the ignition wires or connections are usually to blame
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Thanks for the advice...you guys are great! Went out and got some electric cleaner and dielectric grease. Went through and cleaned out all the connectors and repacked them with the grease. They all appeared to be in good condition, so hopefully this takes care of the problem. I guess we'll see next time it rains...

Comment

Originally posted by beromn View Post
                              I guess we'll see next time it rains...
                              Since you're in Lexington, just wait 30 minutes and the rain will come
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X