X

99 Katana mod question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Katana mod question

Ok Few questions, I got my Fiance' 99 Katana 600 for valentines day and of course I have to mod it ( cause I am a mod addict ) I have no experience with sports bikes though so few things.

1) she wants a larger tire on the back what is the largest tire you can put on a stock rim?

2) Extending the swing arm how much can you extend it and still be ok?

3) there are aftermarket sprockets on there how hard is it to replace it

4) any quick mods that can be done with little to no skill?

Thanks for the help

lol i would suggest trying search.

but i would put a pipe on it, jet kit, shift kit that will give you a little more power and a better driving bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstroke View Post
      Ok Few questions, I got my Fiance' 99 Katana 600 for valentines day and of course I have to mod it ( cause I am a mod addict ) I have no experience with sports bikes though so few things.

1) she wants a larger tire on the back what is the largest tire you can put on a stock rim?

2) Extending the swing arm how much can you extend it and still be ok?

3) there are aftermarket sprockets on there how hard is it to replace it

4) any quick mods that can be done with little to no skill?

Thanks for the help
      If your going to extend it, consider changing the rim so the tire you want to put on it will fit right, because the tire size we will tell you, your most likely going to say is too small.

Sprockets are not hard to replace at all if you have basic tools and can follow directions.

There are hundreds of mods... look around, read the site... find a few you like.

And welcome to KR!

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        If your going to extend it, consider changing the rim so the tire you want to put on it will fit right, because the tire size we will tell you, your most likely going to say is too small.

Sprockets are not hard to replace at all if you have basic tools and can follow directions.

There are hundreds of mods... look around, read the site... find a few you like.

And welcome to KR!

Krey
        Thanks been reading the site, this is not good for me I Have a vtx1300 and you wouldnt know it anymore after all the mods now the little woman's bike is screaming MOD ME MOD ME!!! lol

would a 210 been too big on the back, other advice was not to go bigger then 180 because it was a small bike and couldnt pull it that well. Dont know how true that is

Thanks for the welcome as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstroke View Post
          Thanks been reading the site, this is not good for me I Have a vtx1300 and you wouldnt know it anymore after all the mods now the little woman's bike is screaming MOD ME MOD ME!!! lol

would a 210 been too big on the back, other advice was not to go bigger then 180 because it was a small bike and couldnt pull it that well. Dont know how true that is

Thanks for the welcome as well!
          I'm running a 180 after modifying the kat swingarm and brake arm for clearance to mount a 5.5 GSXR rim. I actually have room still to put in a 6.0 rim and fit up to around 210 or 220 depending. I shortened my arm by 3/4" to offset some of the wider tire effect on handling curves.

I have experianced no negative problems with the wider tire with the way I did my mod. I can honestly say I have seen no decrease in aceleration or stopping for basic riding, and getting on it a little in the twisties. It handles the curves at the speed I took them before, and actually handles a little smoother for me.

If your going to be extending the swingarm, then tire size will have alot less effect on your performance over the effects of the extension.

If your concerned about performance, don't change the bike. It's set up for the best possible performance. If you want wide tires, or a longer swingarm... your going to decrease your bikes potential performance. The question you really need to consider is... will the decrease in bike max performance abilities have a negative effect on my riding (or her's as the case may be). If your only cruising around town and/or you don't have alot of twisties... I don't see how it would really.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Awesome thanks so much that helps alot..

Comment

210... really?
              Krey you are way too patient...

Comment

I'm doing what my mother told me to do, I have nothing nice to say, so I'm saying nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  I'm doing what my mother told me to do, I have nothing nice to say, so I'm saying nothing.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

yeah... there's plenty you can do. new windscreen, some better grips. new bar ends. rear cowl if you can get one, polish or powdercoat the rims. as far the tire, stock rim will fit up to 160, after that you'll probably run out of clearance. so as stated, if you really want a tire that big, then you're gonna have to mod the swingarm. not sure if it's more trouble than you'd care to take on, as you said you were looking for quick and easy mods. you can do the mesh mod, that seems popular. i'm looking to do it at some point. fender eliminator if it doesnt have one already. theres some pretty creative and nice looking, and cheap ways of doing it on the forum here. i did the really cheap and easy way of just cutting the plastic around the plate off. leaving a small strip going to the plate mount. needs some work to smooth it out for cleaner look, but good enough for now. i'm kind of tweaking on energy drinks and no sleep right now, so that's all i can think off right now lol
                    2004 Katana
                    GO OWLS!!!

Comment

I learned a long time ago... If you don't explain why they dont' want to do it and let them come to that conclusion themselves... and just tell them they don't want to do it, they won't get it.

Besides, I'm not completely adverse to exteam mods or mods not specific to increase performance. For example, I actually liked the 79 firebird with t-tops my uncles best friend has. 4wd, 44s, with a 48" lift in general lee orange.

Gotta love the south!

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

what he said.....
                        pveity = 100%

Comment

Welcome to KR. First thing to do is a toolbox mod- add at least two packs of JB Weld. Is your woman a new rider? 'Not sure you should go fooling with the sprockets if she's never been on a sport/touring before.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                          -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                            +1. Arsenic's mom told me to be nice to newbies as well...

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                            X