X

float hight???????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• float hight???????

well i read the manual and it says the hicht is 13mm. I have mesured it the way it sayes too. But im not sure its right. #4 float is the same as the other but sits a little higher when hanging all the way down.And a nother thing is when i flip the carbs upside down the float bottoms out? Is any of this normal??? And what is the best way to measure the hight. The owners manual way is a little frustrating.

first of all the float heights aren't 13mm it's 13.5mm. And why are you flipping them upside down? The manual doesn't say to do that.

Comment

Well the manual says to let them hang down and tilt back over until the needal seats. But not so the spring loaded tip compreses. I did that to get the right hight. But when i am done and let them hang down #4 is higher than the rest, the rest are even with each other. 1,2,3. The reson i put them upside down is to put the cover back on. (the floats rest on the inside of the carb?

By the way the manual says 13mm +or- .5
      Last edited by lovemy2000kat; 03-23-2009, 07:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I had to go check real quick it is 13mm +/- .5mm. You don't tilt them upside down and flip them until the floats flop over. You kinda got that backwards. Just put them at like a 30 degree angle, like you're trying to read the bottom of an open soda can.

Comment

Can you send a pick of how it looks??

Comment

I don't have a pic, look on FactoryPro.com, there's a pic there.

Comment

Float height Katana 2004 gsx750f

Having GSX750F / Katana from 2004 - just wonder how exactly do we set the float hight?
              #1 One way is to flip carb upside down and set it around 13mm but then this tiny spring in float valve is pressed in
              #2 Another way is to flip them over and don't let flats by its weight to press in the tiny little spring of float valve.
              Could anyone please explain how do we do it?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                Just put them at like a 30 degree angle, like you're trying to read the bottom of an open soda can.

Comment

"... look on FactoryPro.com, there's a pic there."

Comment

I just did 13mm float level as you said , turned out pilot screws 2.0 the bike had no power
                    => so I turned out pilot screws a bit more 2.5 out in total (all of them) the bike has a bit more power but stil feels like 50 cc scooter... Just no torque - used about 1 liters petrol for 4 kilometer test run - feels like 4 times more than normally the bike should use...

KatRiders manual says about pilot screws (2.0 out on carb 1&4 and 2.5 out on carb 2&3 => can you explain me why ? Since all the 4 carbs are the same)

What could it be that the bike uses too much petrol and has too little power? I made a picture of adjusting float levels. Should I readjust the float level or take a better look at pilot screws? The bike is GSX750F from 2004 all is stock

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-04-2014, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      I just did 13mm float level as you said , turned out pilot screws 2.0 the bike had no power
                      => so I turned out pilot screws a bit more 2.5 out in total (all of them) the bike has a bit more power but stil feels like 50 cc scooter... Just no torque - used about 1 liters petrol for 4 kilometer test run - feels like 4 times more than normally the bike should use...

KatRiders manual says about pilot screws (2.0 out on carb 1&4 and 2.5 out on carb 2&3 => can you explain me why ? Since all the 4 carbs are the same)

What could it be that the bike uses too much petrol and has too little power? I made a picture of adjusting float levels. Should I readjust the float level or take a better look at pilot screws? The bike is GSX750F from 2004 all is stock

IIRC the inner 2 cylinders are run slightly richer than the outer 2 cylinders to help with temperature control, because if all 4 cylinders were set identically the inner pair would naturally run hotter than the outside pair. Richening the
                      inner two helps them run in a similar temperature range as the outer ones. Or at least that's how I understand it

As far as the increased fuel consumption and decreased power, my first assumption without seeing it would be that it is running rich somehow, possibly due to a stuck or malfunctioning choke, float height perhaps, a number of variables really. I would go back through your carbs, check and re-check everything and make sure it's all in good working order with proper (factory) settings.

Comment

Hey all, I have not been able to check my float levels yet because I don't have the tool. I connected my external tank and poured in a little gas. No leaks and then drip. Was I supposed to connect my vacuum line? Gas was leaking on the sides of the float bowls. It looks as if I need to check my floats.

Comment

You don't need a special tool to check your float heights. Got a ruler? Done.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                            You don't need a special tool to check your float heights. Got a ruler? Done.
                            Do you believe that the small leakage is due to the floats not being at the right level?

Comment

It's leaking where the float bowl meets the carb body? In that case, I don not believe it's a float height. I'm sure the float heights aren't helping the situation. If the float bowl gaskets where good, it wouldn't leak from there. I think both need to be addressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X