X

threw in the towel on the stripped bolt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• threw in the towel on the stripped bolt

ok, so if you have been following in the chatbox lately, my ignition rotor bolt is stuck hard.

i tried screw extractors (could never get a bite, and when i did it broke inside)

i tried a butane torch and hammering a torx in, could not get it to budge.

tried cutting the bolt with a dremel, and the ignition rotor head, and using vice grips on the bolt head, still could not get it to move.

so, i threw in the towel. i drove it to the local suzuki dealer. waiting for a call on the estimate.

oh, lessons learned:

when stripping a sufficiently large bolt, and you do not have access to the bolt head, and the screw extractor can't bite, take it to a shop first before mangling it all to hell.
    joey b.

i stripped few bolts (the rear master brake cylinder, and the heel kick gard). I couldn't get them off using all the methods you have mentioned. Finally took it to a local mechanic shop and paid 25 dollars. Worth the money!

Comment

place I worked when I was younger charged extra if you tried yourself and failed
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

bah.. 80ish bucks.. lesson well learned.
        joey b.

Comment

was it actually the wrong tools, or was it a case of "no one ever took off the bolt before, so it still had loctite on it"? If it's a loctited bolt, it needs a quick, clean snapping action at the outset to break the hold -- simply loading on progressively more load will just mangle it.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
          CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
          The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Man...sorry to hear that. I changed the cams this weekend and ran across a few bolts that made me a little nervous. However, all was well. Good luck on that estimate.

Comment

sorry bro....we have all been there.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                was it actually the wrong tools, or was it a case of "no one ever took off the bolt before, so it still had loctite on it"? If it's a loctited bolt, it needs a quick, clean snapping action at the outset to break the hold -- simply loading on progressively more load will just mangle it.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                I had to do this when I installed my 5 degree advancer (thanks again Cyber). I started to strip the head until I got out the hammer and gave the allen wrench a sharp rap.
                Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                X