X

Help me please!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me please!!!

Well i have run into an issue with my new toy 98 kat. Couple days ago i got onto her to ride noticed the oil looked really low took her round the block and she was running funny (stuttering) so i parked her. The next day i let her idle for 10 min and added 1/4 qt of oil. She ran great. Today (forgetting all about the oil) i took her out and she performed great all day then on the way home she started stuttering again and then cut off while i was in traffic. I pulled her to the side of the road and hoped in the cage and ran to the gas station and got oil. Put half a qt in her and let her idle for 10min. she sounded great so i hoped back on her and got down a couple blocks and she cut off again. I was afraid to start her again so just got her towed home (embarasing as He!!) When i got her off the tow truck i started her and she cut rite on. So whats wrong with my bike?? I have no idea whats going on. I dont think its the carbs because she hasnt done this before. Any advice?????? Anybody been through this???
    Last edited by pveity; 03-22-2009, 09:00 PM.
    pveity = 100%

Is your check oil light on (by your gauges)? Also, are you noticing any blue smoke coming from your exhaust? It just seems like whatever the issue is, if your loosing oil this quickly you definitely should see something (if you haven't already noticed some obvious leaks!)
    -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

yeah, step 1 is defiantly too find out where the oil is going. Until you know that I can't tell you anything really.

Comment

well i checked the back of the pipe and the smoke looks like it alwasy did, (Clear) also i have checked for leaks since the day i got it, never seen anything on the ground or smell oil burning on the frame. The check engine light came on both times it died on me! It didnt remain on once buike was shut off and restarted. But it was def on when she died..............any idea whats going on?????? My kats in dire need of help!!!
        pveity = 100%

Comment

Was the oil going somewhere? Did you check the oil window with the bike on the centerstand, or did you just put oil in it as a guess?

One thing that can cause sputtering (if it's not the oil issue) is a faulty sidestand switch (happened to me on my post).
          -
          -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by pveity View Post
            The check engine light came on both times it died on me!
            You have a check engine light?

First step is to find out what's happening with the oil definitely. There's no way you should be burning that much...
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Check engine light?
              I'm guessing it it runs but dies shortyly after riding you have a bad petcock or petcock vacuum leak, or even a plugged gas cap vent.

try running it on prime for a while... even a couple days
              Last edited by hardlydangerous; 03-22-2009, 11:43 PM.
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

The "check engine" light they're making fun of you for (dammit , they beat me to it ) is the oil pressure light . It's off when the bike's running , unless you ain't got oil pressure for some reason , and on when it's not . Normal . Also , make sure you're using the correct oil check procedure . Happens .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

oil light!!!!! SORRY!!! (my god) not check engine light!!!! it was late i had a long day my kats in trouble and u guys are picking on me for saying check engine instead of oil light...the oil window was empty..thats what made me add oil..Then after i added the oil the oil window looked completly full... but as i began to ride it (and it cut off) i looked down at the oil window and it looked empty again...any ideas???
                  pveity = 100%

Comment

It takes a few minutes for the oil to run down the engine and back to the pan for a proper level check. Place the bike on the center stand - if you have one, fire her up for a few minutes, and then shut her off and allow her to rest for 5-6 minutes. Then look at the oil level in the window, and adjust as needed.
                    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Thanks for the help will try and post comments!!
                      pveity = 100%

Comment

ok i put the bike on the center kickstand and the oil level was low like there was nothing in her. I cut her on (she didnt want to stay started and kept trying to die could be because its cold) but i got her to run for a couple min and when i cut her offthe oil level was far beyond full. The whole oil window was filled..so whats going on with the bike???????????????????????????????
                        pveity = 100%

Comment

drain all the oil and start over. new filter and all, it's prolly due anywho. take a good sniff of the old oil for gas. If it's gassy there is a problem with one or more floats in the carbs. Check the bottom of your airbox, and the drain tube for gas also.

does it spit, sputter, and die, or just cut out, stop dead? spit and sputter = fuel problem. cut out and die = ignition.

when's the last time you checked the plugs for fouling? these motors seem to foul plugs easily.
                          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

i was thinking the same thing to just drain it and start over...so thats what i will do thanks guys for the help if that doesnt work im taking her to the shop!!! THanks again!!!!
                            pveity = 100%

Comment

Working...
                            X