Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Idle jumps to 6k, whenever I hit throttle.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle jumps to 6k, whenever I hit throttle.

1992 Katana Stage 1 DynoJet Kit, Vances and Hines Exhuast, K&N Pod filters.

So I set the idle to 1.5k and it sits there pretty good. When I ride, or just tug the throttle the idle jumps to 6K and wont come down until I readjust.

Bike still has a hard time starting even when warm, I have to pull the choke even after Ive been riding to restart it.

I have played with the A/F screws between 2.5 and 1.5 and currently have them set at 2 turns. Can I pod filters be screwing up the idle that bad? I have a new throttle cable on its way, and I guess Ill put the air box back on to see if that helps. Any ideas?
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

how are you re adjusting the the throttle
    sounds like something is not going back to rest position , like a throtle cable hanging up
    can you make it go back to idle if you tug cable back?
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

600? 750?

Comment

750, I have been adjusting idle with the idle knob on the left side of the bike. The throttle handle seems to being going back to normal, Im wondering if the cable is binding in the shroud. Thats why I ordered a new one, I guess Ill just wait until that comes in to see if it helps.

Comment

Sounds like a throttle cable sticking. New throttle cable is a good way to eliminate that part of the problem. Meanwhile, check for a vaccum leak. Next would be to check the TPS. If anything, you'll have a new throttle cable!!!

If all all is good, I'd suggest a dive into the carbs...
          It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

TPS, throttle position sensor? Didnt think anything with a carb had those.

Comment

Pre Kats don't have a TPS .
              Yeah , DOES sound like a throttle cable . I got an extra one if you wanna try it ....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Do as you please. Check or change the throttle cable. Listen to this advice: 2.5 on the a/f screws. Check the boots from the air box to the carb's on the inside of the air box to make sure they seat on the carb's. Especially the center carb's. Make sure the boots are attached to the carb's and clamped tightly. Once you get the bike running make minor adjustments after that point. EX: pods back on. What size main fuel jets did you go with? Is that a full exhaust? Not a slip-on?
                Last edited by Kfreak; 03-23-2009, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Suggest you also check for leaks on the headers and at the collector box as this stops the revs dropping after opening the throttle

Comment

Throttle cable OR maybe a vacuum leak. More likely the cable though, I had some trouble with mine right at the grip, had to jiggle it with one hand while riding as it started sticking through city traffic.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Put the new throttle cable on today, only fixed half the problem.... Instead of 6k the idle stays around 3k, still too high for my taste. Could the butterflys on the carbs be sticking? I dont think its a vacuum leak because if it was I wouldnt be able to adjust the idle back down correctly.... bike still doesnt want to start warm.... too rich?

Comment

You should be able to look and see if the springs are all coming down, also you should hear a slight click if they close. A vac leak will cause a high idle.
                        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                          bike still doesnt want to start warm.... too rich?
                          Mebbe .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                          X