X

yet another dumb idea

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another dumb idea

i was at the local tow yard today and they had a newer r6 that had been in a fire and was written off on insurance. bike looks fine minus plastic wiring is kinda screwed because some one there tryed to cut off part of the frame . so basically i can get a almost complete bike wrecked for about $500. its fuel injected looks like computer is fine plastic is wasted the fire really didnt cause that much damage. my question is how hard would it be to put the motor in it along with swing arm and forks. updated technology on old bike. sounds like good idea. ive found a complete harness with computer and throttle bodys for $200 local. im kinda sad the frame has a chunk cut of out it looks like they cut it to try and remove motor or something. good idea or bad?
    still screwing with junk

You would probly need custom mounts for the motor and such, running the wires and stuff for the new ecu and the fuel injection would be a pain lots of labor i would think, as for the wing arm fitting, its a r6 it would not be a direct swap bigger swing arm bigger tire, does the bike even run it caught on fire for a reason? It might be easyer/cheaper to fix the frame and put in proper supports are the cut.

But then again i dont know much about swapping motors from one make and model to another.
    sigpic

Comment

why not just replace the plastic and other stuff on the r6?
      Let's go riding!

Comment

Originally posted by sharpie6 View Post
        why not just replace the plastic and other stuff on the r6?

the frame is cut on both sides tank is junk it looks like it was parked in a garage or something when it caught fire. plastics are melted over frame i dont have a pic but looks like everything melted over top of frame.just think out loud sound like a good idea in my head far as the wiring im not worried ive been searching ebay and it seems i could get it running for a decent price, frames are expensive the pieces are not the for the frame or id repair it. im a welder fabricator for a living so for me to say the frame is junk it is junk. got excited now im starting to think about it now some fab work i wont mind far as motor mounts but id like to use the forks and swing arm. even if i didnt use motor id sell it maybe im just trying to add things up to see if i can make my money back on this deal. i read the write up here on here about fuel injected kats and that may be an idea
        still screwing with junk

Comment

Have fun with that .
          Well , if you can make the engine & radiator fit , that'll probably be the hardest part ....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

im going to go for it. i can make my money back anyways
            still screwing with junk

Comment

Well you say youre a welder for a living so fabbing adapters to makes the engine fit should be cake. Not a bad idea though. Around here it seems the old oil cooled motors go for more than CBR600 engines so if i had more free time id try it too. Definitely post up pics of your progress though.
              The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

I think its a great idea!! I love doing things like this, I just helped a friend swap a fuel injected 1200 Harley motor into a 1951 Indian. Not a difficult as a water cooled motor but it still turned out reallly sweet.
                Originally posted by arsenic
                93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

going on monday to try and pick up other bike
                  still screwing with junk

Comment

anything is possible!
                    If you have access to equiptment it is easier
                    Make sure you post lots of picks
                    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

kinda excited. ill post pics
                      still screwing with junk

Comment

I think the hardest part will be finding a healthy donor frame with a good (registerable/insurable) VIN. Good luck with the project!

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

already have my katana. i guess i could just buy another gsxr frame but where is the fun in that?
                          still screwing with junk

Comment

I'll have a titled rolling frame from a '86 gsxr1100 available in the next month, 6 weeks if you're interested.
                            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Only "dumb idea" is one you considered but didn't follow through with...

Go for it...
                              It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

Working...
                              X