Engine cutting out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine cutting out

First off..

Thank you, all of you that helped me get started.

I changed the oil; drained & examined the tank (NO RUST!! ) put in the techron.. After about 1/4 mile the bike changed pitch, no longer the mechanical efforted crank, all of a sudden the engine started to sing. It was a bit weird, never heard an engine respond like that (I've seen my share of engines) but it as if all of a sudden good clean oil entered a section of the bike that it never had.. The result is more of a medium frequency (~800-1400Hz) tone, that becomes much more apparent after 4K RPM. Quite nice.

---Question starts here---

But anyway, on to the next question, oh bike gods.. on pleasant (but not full) acceleration, just after the shift into 2nd at around 30MPH; the engine cuts... the RPM gauge drops to zero, even though the transmission is still forcing the engine to rotate. I pull off, and try to restart; and it is dead.

I flip all the switches, turn on and off the key; tap the starter, NOTHING happens. no engine crank whatsoever. I've noticed that after about 30 seconds, if I play with the kick stand, they bike will start right back up.

It's done it twice, and I don't want it to happen on the freeway. I'm wondering if its the kickstand electrical kill switch. If it happens again, I'll try shifting into N immediately; if it then starts without a hitch.. then I'll know. Especially if it dies immediately after shifting into first.

Any other suggestions?
    jks

kats go raar.

kick stand switch is bad!!! is my first assesment
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Yup , the tipoff is it started up after playin with your stand . You can disable the switch (kinda iffy saftey-wise) , or you can fix it . Basically , the bike will NOT run in gear with the stand down . Look at the stand near the top and you'll see a little plunger deal . What you do with it is up to you ...
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

For many reasons, all of them involving your safety, I highly recommend correcting the issue with the sidestand pivot or switch (one of the two is having the issue). Usual culprits include the pivot for the sidestand getting elongated, the spring which holds it up getting weak with age, or the wiring to the switch itself being tattered or damaged.

The reason I recommend fixing the issue rather than simply disabling the switch (which can be done by shorting it) is that if you ignore the kickstand issue, the kickstand can come down unexpectly when going over a bump or around a curve, then catch something on the ground and end up in catastrophy (rare, but it has been known to happen -- which is why sidestand cut-out switches are the norm in the industry now).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I agree with you CyPt; I will not simply disconnect the switch. I am an engineer, and should with minimal difficulty be able to correct the fault.
          jks

kats go raar.

Comment

If not kickstand switch then might b fuel related and playing with switch gives carbs enough time for gas to build. Just a possibility if kickstand switch isn't issue

Comment

Since OP hasn't been back in over 10 years, I'm guessing he's not still looking for an answer.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
              X