Flames shooting from my exhaust!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flames shooting from my exhaust!?

Hi...
    Ive recently been experiencing some difficult times with the bike.

The carbs need to be cleaned...seems like they worse day after day...bike loses idle, hard to start, popping when decelerating.

and now this, i noticed a different sound coming from my bike when i downshift, it wasnt the average crackle, yet a pop...almost like a cough.

Fiancee was riding behind me, and said i had like 5 inch long flames shooting on the cans.

Although I think its cool as hell! i know its not good...what type of damage is this causing? I believe my fuel isnt being burned, which is causing it to run too rich right?

Do I just clean the carbs? and that will solve my problem??

Thanks!

Yes, they are probably rich as junk. I would clean your carbs, reset you A/F mixture screw to 2.5 to 3 times out, resynce you should be good to go.

Comment

Squids used to do that..
      You shut the engine down with the kill switch while leaving it in gear, then switch the engine back on..
      all the unburned fuel ignites and shoots out flames..

I'd say you are running too rich.

Comment

Moved to Mechanics 101.....

Clean and synch should help tremendously.
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Flames can be too rich or too poor. If it happens on decel, it's the idle circuit being way too lean; if it happens on accel, it's the mid-range being way to rich normally (or a stuck float).

I've said it to you before -- get that carb R&R'd and then get it on an exhaust anaylzer to set it right. The fact that you're shooting flames means you're building up carbon in your cylinders like it's going out of style, and you may also be doing physical damages to the piston crowns due to excess heat (if that lean) or to the rings (if that rich that it pools out).

Good Luck!
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

check to make sure you dont have any leaks in your exhaust when i had a big leak one time i had some flames coming out too

Comment

thanks everyone.
              I was expecting to hear that. After noticing the trouble black peter had, Im hoping I can score a set on Ebay to work on them, and have spare parts.

Comment

Leave it the way it is. That way if someone tries to get to close to you, you can melt there bumper.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

lol...i clicked my 'view your posts' link and saw you were the last person to leave a post on this topic...before i even read it, i knew it was going to be something funny lol

thanks for the insight!

Comment

Funny????

I was being serious.

Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                      Funny????

I was being serious.
                      If Lou could figure out how to put a fuel injector into his collector, he probably would...

=-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        Originally posted by SweetLou
                        Funny????

I was being serious.
                        If Lou could figure out how to put a fuel injector into his collector, he probably would...

=-= The CyberPoet

I've actually seen some of the stunters around here that have hooked up a bottle of various types of gasses and ran a line down to their exhaust piep...............just to be able to shoot out BIG and different colored flames..............
                        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

stay AWAY from the mexican food and it should clear up in a few days.
                          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

LOL

Comment

Working...
                            X