Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ugh

so today.... my 05 kat 750 was stored for the last 3 weeks. i have not been able to ride. ... so today...not firing on all cylinders. seems like on is down and out. sputtering, hard to keep running. i check all of the plugs and they seemed fine. i did brush them. i also put the stock ignition plat on and removed the 5 degree advancer. the only aftermarket part is the slip on TBR pipe. any ideas? also, does the pipe void the warranty when i take it in for service? sound like a carb problem?
    "I am better than dirt..well most kinds of dirt that is. Not that fancy storebought dirt- that stuff is loaded with nutrients. No way I can compete with that stuff..."

also, if i choke it up to like 4-5k RPM, there is a definite dead spot in the sound, as in...not the same smooth sound. like a FIRE FIRE MISS FIRE
    "I am better than dirt..well most kinds of dirt that is. Not that fancy storebought dirt- that stuff is loaded with nutrients. No way I can compete with that stuff..."

Comment

If you haven't ridden in 3 weeks and the bike hasn't been on a charger, then the battery is probably weak. The plugs may also be fouled (or for that matter, something may have crawled into the airbox and made a nest).

Advice: First check/charge the battery. Check the tank for rust. Once you verify both are good, add some techron fuel system cleaner and top off the tank. Then, if it'll run, run it up for 20 minutes (putting around the neighborhood will be fine), to get it good and hot. Recheck to see if the plug fouling cleared itself by seeing if the symptoms went away (plugs are designed to burn off fouling once up to temp); if not, let it sit overnight and then check again (could be some dried fuel residue -- the techron will clean it out).
      If that still doesn't do it, get new plugs and start thinking about cleaning the carbs out manually.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i pulled the plugs and they seemed fine. no fouling. i sprayed the carbs with some cleaner and added some stp fuel treatment. it started to run a lot better, still sputtered but after a few mins in the 'hood it ran ok. i rode for about 100 miles that day and all was good. this morning, 1 week later, i had the same issue. tank seems fine, plugs are fine, airbox is clean. shot the carbs with cleaner and added some treatment to the gas. all is ok again. i am wondering if i am fealing the ill effects of bad gas. my tank was at about half on the first problematic day so i topped it off with a different company. it is still sitting around full (topped off again).

Comment

the battery also seems to be fine.

Comment

as i reread your post, seems that i might be getting that residue in the carbs...

Comment

you can pick up a bottle of achole from a snowmobile shop it will burn off the water in your tank if that is the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X