Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

4k idle after carb sync.... cannot adjust.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4k idle after carb sync.... cannot adjust.

well, to make a long story short, i decided to sync my carbs myself on my 94 katana 600... while syncing it, the idle would go really high when they were being lined up. the only place i could get all of the carbs lined up at, the idle rpm would jump to about 4-5k and sit there. i've done a bit of reading, and can't figure out why it would be doing this. the only thing i've noticed is that reading the manual for a 750, it says to sync carbs 3 and 4, than 1 and 2, and leave 1 and 2 a tad lower than 3 and 4... i've read the page at http://771doug.netfirms.com/synch_page.html , it doesn't mention anything about having a pair of carbs lower than the others... are they all supposed to be lined up? i can get it to idle decently if i leave 1 and 2 a bit lower than 3 and 4... anyone ever heard of this? any other thing i can do to reduce the idle?
    thanks.

edit: ok, so, i turned the middle screw down a tad, which made 1/2 and 3/4 carb out of sync from each other.. it will idle low that way. the only problem is, reving the engine up, the rpms take a while to fall back down.... i'm not sure why it's doing that. i thought i've read a few things about it a while ago but can't find anything out now. i didn't think syncing carbs up would be so difficult, haha.

go back and synch the carbs like you did. it is possible that the idle was set with out of synch carbs, which is why it is too high when they are synched. so just re-synch them like you did, then adjust the idle. you can adjust the idle via the "screw adjustment" that is usually below the carbs that looks like a cable with a knob on the end for turning. if that doesn't give you enough adjustment, then screw the threaded part of the throttle cable more into the carbs. adjusting the synch does not adjust the idle. the idle is done seperately, after the carbs are in synch.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I had the exact same problem while syning mine....the revs would shoot up if they were at all close to being synced.

1. Turn your idle screw down
      2. My problem was that one carb was running to lean, and so it was unable to balance, and thus the others shooting up in rpms to compensate.

Comment

hmm. i guess i forgot to mention that the idle screw is completely off. i even took the airbox off to verify that it wasn't stuck or pushing the throttle up at all... hmmm... another day of playing with it!

Comment

how long has it been since you cleaned the carbs???
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

well, i've not full disassembled the carbs yet, i've only taken the bowls off the bottom and cleaned out all of that stuff... there was a jet kit installed a month or two back, so all of the jets and stuff should be clean i'm assuming?

Comment

the speedo cable is threaded at the end where it attaches to the carbs. screw it more into the carbs.....it will slacken the cable and lower the rpms.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

well, i'm about to go mess with it some more. i've checked the throttle cable, it's actually really loose... i dont believe its getting the high idle from the cable, it's not even lifting the 'throttle bars' or whatever they're called....

Comment

crap. found on what i was doing wrong. i didnt have the vacuum hose covered up that goes to the petcock... carbs are now synced. thanks for the responses.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X