X

keys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keys

does anybody have any info on how to obtain an original key, when I bought the bike all the guy had was a copy and I think it's kind of off, any help would be appreciated

Re: keys

If the bike is 00+, you should be able to order an original laser-cut key from Japan via your local Suzuki dealership, given the VIN. It will take 6-12 weeks to arrive and cost you about $60. I think it was the first year they supported this offer. Sometimes you can find a locksmith in your area who actually has the appropriate cross-reference materials and can do the same simply by looking up the right key cuts. You may also want to call Suzuki USA and ask them -- many dealers aren't aware of the possibility, and Suzuki America may know of a US-located locksmithy they farm this work out to for more years than even the factory covers.

Pre-'00, you have to tough it out or replace the lock assemblies (which may offer piece of mind). A full lock set (includes all the locks, keys, etc) for the bike runs about $190 if I recall correctly. You can cross-reference it at www.ronayers.com

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

if you buy one of those Suzuki key blanks you see on ebay all the time, can I key maker to make an extra? All I have is one of the originals.
      Custom flat black,pin stripes,mesh mod,Custom fender eliminator,signal integrator,Custom handlebars,New smoke screen,Braada cowl soon,clear signals.Later-Jet kit,K&N air filter ............................

Comment

Sure, any locksmith or hardware store can copy a key. But before you buy a blank on ebay, check them to see if they have one already... You may not get a nice rubber top on the key, but I would think it would be cheaper.
        --
        Sagan

Comment

Every place I have went to has said I need to get one from the dealer, now dealer vs. ebay is a no brainer. So I think Ill get a blank from ebay... thanks
          Custom flat black,pin stripes,mesh mod,Custom fender eliminator,signal integrator,Custom handlebars,New smoke screen,Braada cowl soon,clear signals.Later-Jet kit,K&N air filter ............................

Comment

Originally posted by Katana Nate
            Every place I have went to has said I need to get one from the dealer, now dealer vs. ebay is a no brainer. So I think Ill get a blank from ebay... thanks
            Check with the dealer first on their price; by the time you pay postage off ebay, you may be behind the "local" dealer price.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

if you could find a local scrapyard that has alot of bikes, you might be lucky enough that they keep the keys. There is a garage here that has a scrapyard in the back. during the years they have literally collected pails full of keys. all seperated by by makes....ford, mopar, gm...etc..etc. I have gotten spare keys from them many times through the years. Up until the keys became "hi-tech"...with chipds in them, there was only 12-15 different key patterns.....which means there was a 1 in 15 chance that your key would work on someone elses vehicle. I would just take the pail of keys to my care and keep trying until I found ones that would match. I have never NOT found a key that worked.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

you can by blanks at your local dealership or ebay and have a locksmith make you a copy from a mold

Comment

I have blank keys for Katanas.............I usually keep about 4 or 5 of each type, (early and 98+).

I sell them for $5 delivered to US states....................

They are NOT the rubber top type......just ones that work!

Also: You can send me your whole ignition and I can have a key or two made for it.......................its about $30 plus the shipping both ways. Extra keys are $4 each..............

Early or late..........does not matter. I've torn apart dozens of Katana ignitions, made my own diagram, and know all the internal parts like a watch. I can take them apart and rebuild them in minutes..................and have spare parts too!
                  I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                  Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                  Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
                  X