X

Exhaust questions... making custom and wondering about flow

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust questions... making custom and wondering about flow

Well i got my mufflers today from ebay and they wern't quite what i expected.

i think they will look good when on (and i will post pics ect...) but i am worried about the flow.

one of them has a glasspack type baffle in it which the hole is perhaps 1" the other has a maybe 1/4" hole so most of the gas is forces around and through a mesh tube. first just holding them up to the back of my muffler the glasspack one quieted it down a bit and the baffled one just changed the sound a bit.

so, they are both 1 1/2 inch inlet, if it wasn't for the baffles they would flow more then the single 2" pipe (12.56 area vs. 2x7.065=14 area) which is on there now. but right now it is a straight through yosh, one of the pipes will be baffled, the other about a 1" center section, so at best it would be an area of about 3.14+7.065=10ish not taking into acount how much the baffle would slow things down.

so all this rambling for two questions.

Is the restriction something to worry about? i don't want to loose performance with this.

Two is sound, will the just baffled one sound bad? if worse comes to worse i was thinking i could always remove the baffles for flow (or one of them) and have a glasspack type thing right off of the header for noise reduction...

Thanks for the help

-Tyler

Looks like Harley Davidson exhaust to me LOL
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
      Looks like Harley Davidson exhaust to me LOL
      I think it is, i am not in trouble am i ?

Comment

Regifting.

You might want to consider listing them back on E-Bay...
        and trying again.

Also look at this link

Good Luck
        "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

your profile says you ride a 90 600. Umm...no offense, but those pipes might look kinda tacky on a 600 kat. I am with Bob on this one....you might want to consider sticking them back on ebay.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

If your looking for sound and performance,look at D&D they look good, sound good, but you may have to re-jet.IMO,don't put those on your Kat,i'm with Mojoe,they will look tacky.
            Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

thise exhausts belong on a 50/50 system for a custom.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I THINK IF YOU MAKE EM DUAL , HI MOUNT TYPE OF THING , THEYLL LOOK AND SOUND AWESOME! NOT 2 SURE BOUT THE PERFORMANCE THINGY...
                (((((((RIDE HARD OR GO HOME)))))))

Comment

It should look good, have a little faith at least untill i show pictures of it. i will be more then willing to take comments/critisisms whenever i have it done. my bike doesn't look like a kat anymore naked with dual headlights. it will be highmount, staggared a little. i do not want just a normal slip on exhaust.

stiill wondering about the performance/sound issue, any takers on that

Comment

This is just general exhaust design theory stuff:

Ideally, you want to maximize volume while minimizing surface area to get good mid- and top-end performance (which would be most suitable for a Kat's normal cam-grinds). If you think about the exhaust coming out of the engine and flowing through the pipes, each bit of wall the gas passes over induces a small bit of turbulance and drag; each 90 degree bend sucks out a lot of speed (ask any A/C ducting guy about this). Thus, a 1.5" pipe that runs a single run may well flow better than 2 each 1.2" pipes -- because the gases are moving faster and there is less total drag on them. This may be the issue here.

Question -- I'm not familiar with the exhaust header set-up on your bike; is it 4-into-2 or is it 4-into-2 with a cross-over?

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well, it is a 4-1 yosh full exhaust with straight through (drag?) pipe right now.

how do those baffles like i described flow compared to a straight pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by tylerc
                        Well, it is a 4-1 yosh full exhaust with straight through (drag?) pipe right now.

how do those baffles like i described flow compared to a straight pipe?
                        A straight pipe always flows more, but that robs you of torque (because it doesn't provide any back-pressure), so you end up slower off the line and faster at the top end (plus draw everyone's attention with the noise). Without really having an idea of the inside construction I can't give you a good answer -- any chance you can sketch up something more descriptive?

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

just like the pic, pipe with small holes in it where the dashed lines are, hole right after where the exhaust comes in is a little bigger then a pencil.

Comment

just like the pic, pipe with small holes in it where the dashed lines are, hole right after where the exhaust comes in is a little bigger then a pencil.

Comment

Looks like it should work fairly well for low to mid-range, may stiffle the bike a bit at the top depending on much that front plate with the smaller passage is angled. Definitely build for vehicles with lower RPM ceilings though...

Try 'em and tell us!

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X