X

does not want to idle or take gas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does not want to idle or take gas

96 kat 600 been running perfect no problems. I was out on a ride had been riding for about a hour and then I gave it some gas in a tight turn and it was bogging down and sounded like it was going put put. I tried again in the next turn and the same thing. I pulled into a gas station and she sputtered out and died. I can smell gas but did not see any leaking. I choked it and got it running and just stayed on the throttle and got it home. My baby is broke any ideas please.
    nitros222

you either have a problem with the carbs or the ignition. I am guessing a bad plug if it just came on like you said. the first thing I would do is pull the plugs and compare them with each other. if you have a bad one, it will stand out. it will be wet or carbonned up. the ignition is the easiest to check, so I would look there first. if that is not the problem, then you might have to pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning. If cleaning the carbs results with the same problem, then look to the diaphram/slide. if the slide is not not working, it will run rich and flood out at low rpms.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Ok first off thank you mojoe. I tried to start the bike today and it fired right up and ran fine. I went for a 20 mile ride and it was fine. any ideas now

Comment

it could be something as simple as a piece of crap that made it's way through your carbs and is gone now. if it only does it when it gets hot or after riding for a while, it could be the plugs or coils. carbs, once they have a problem, usually show symptoms right from start-up. electrical can start to make itself obvious after it gets hot. have you ever changed the plugs?
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

cool thanks man no I have not replaced the plugs yet. But sounds like a good idea,
          Thanks

Comment

does not want to idle or take gas

Nitros, dont forget the check the simple stuff, fuel line filter might have got something clogged in it...should replace them often...but sounds like either fouled plug, they it cleared....usually you would not get more than one carb not running right...you would feel it, but should not be as dramatic as you stated...so my bet is on the fuel line clogg somewhere....if it happens again, take off the seat, pull the fuel line for a moment and spray some starter fluid or gas into the carbs and see if it starts and runs great for a second or two before the gas is used up...if it does, then its not getting fuel properly...good luck.

CinciRider

Comment

Or maybe a slight vaccum leak?
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

well she fixed her self. I went on 125 mile one way trip and she ran fine no problems. 130 mph for about 20 miles and she was great.
                Thanks everyone for your input

Comment

Originally posted by nitros222
                  well she fixed her self. I went on 125 mile one way trip and she ran fine no problems. 130 mph for about 20 miles and she was great.
                  Thanks everyone for your input

WHERE did THIS occur?

Man, I'd love to have 20 miles where I could wind it out ..............
                  I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                  Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                  Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

lol
                    I got lucky right after I slowed it down I came up on a state patrol

Comment

So you apparently had a fouled plug (I bet) . They sometimes clean themselves out .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                      X