X

Is my mechanic full of BS?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my mechanic full of BS?

I recently took my gf's 600 into the shop to get the valves adjusted on it, and now a week later I am hearing a ticking coming from the engine that I didn't notice before.

I was under the impression that when the valves ticked they needed adjusting and so I went back today to say that they're ticking. My mechanic replied that, yes, it was normal and that they're supposed to tick - especially since this is an air/oil cooled bike.

In fact, he said that if there wasn't a ticking noise, then that means that they need adjusting...

So, seeing as my knowledge isn't very in-depth about motorcycle engines, I decided to ask you guys to see if he was just feeding me shiate
    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

I eagerly await an answer from the resident experts.... It will help me out also.

Comment

My impression was that loose valves make the ticking sounds....

Bumpers for someone to verify.

Comment

It's not uncommon for valves to tick lightly after the initial valve adjustment, because most mechanics err on the side of looseness as a safety precaution. If in doubt, ask him what values he set them at -- that's far more important... if he set them using the incorrect values (or too loose as a result of wrong values), you may have a bunch of valve slop, which can wear down the valve stem tip over time.

And next time, get someone in your area to walk you through it instead -- that way you'll know whether it was done right or not.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Kat's tick. They tick pretty noticably. You may have had a lot of TIGHT valves if the bike wasn't ticking before... Loose is better than tight...

I'd pull the valve cover and measure clearances myself. It'll cost you about 2 hours if you've never done it before and a set of feeler gauges. Super easy to do. If they're all in spec, sleep well. If they're not, bring the bike back, inform him of your findings, and make him adjust them within spec...
          -Steve

Comment

there are 2 different noises from valves.

1st, there is ticking. ticking is ok. in fact, it better than no noise at all. at least this way you are sure there is enough clearence.

the 2nd noise is clacking. there is a distinct difference between the 2. clacking is bad. clacking is too much clearence.

the average person who hasn't been around the garage enough might not be able to tell the difference unless it is extreme.....so i guess all i can tell you is not to sweat it. i just had mine adjusted. there was a bit of clacking before....now they just tick. it is normal.....at least on my bike.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Since you're in Raleigh, where did you take it?

Maybe next time ride it over this way! There are at least two good shops here you can trust...........................

Ticking? I seldom hear much other than VERY faint ticking..............and I've probably heard and listened to more Kats in the last three years than anyone! Seriously! I've rebuilt over 75 of them, and have gone thru probalby 25 more in that time for other folks..................

I normally don't detect much ticking..........if the oil if new and full and the valves are adjusted correctly.

CLACKING is much louder and bad! AMEN! to that!

8)
              I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
              Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
              Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
                Ticking? I seldom hear much other than VERY faint ticking.........
                [teasing]
                It's just because you're getting old and don't use ear plugs!
                [/teasing]

J/K

The point about the oil is spot-on. If the mechanic used the newest blend of Suzuki brand motor oil, then it's API SL rated (an "energy conserving oil") and it's not really up to snuff for your engine -- and may play into the noise level. Suzuki corp switched their motor oil from the old SG/SH spec to SL spec about 8 months ago and except for a small blurb on the package, never said anything about it. SL is not optimal for air-oil cooled motorcycle engines because of the lower ZDDP package (accelerates wear), etc. -- but I've run into many Suzuki mechanics and parts people who had no clue that Suzuki switched their oils (or that it made a difference).

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

does clacking sound like a car that has thrown a rod bearing? I knwo what that sounds like and is not pretty.
                  Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

I think I know what clacking sound you're talking about (or at least I can imagine it), and I don't think it's THAT bad - it's just a ticking, really. And it kinda blends in with the sound of the bike, so it's probably not a big deal.

I do plan on eventually learning how to do it myself, but like I said before, I'm just beginning. Last month I did an oil change, and next it's replacing the air filter (big step for a newbie :P).

Special K: I looked on MapQuest and Kernersville is kinda far away, but definitely doable. I think it would be about a 2.5-3 hour drive one way. As far as where I took the bike, I'm actually growing not too fond of the place. My g/f ordered a new helmet from them and it's been over 2 months "on backorder" and "oh, they must have had to manufacture it". And, they're the kind of place that does work that you don't tell them to. I had just changed the oil before taking it in and they "changed the oil for me" even though I mentioned nothing to them about doing it. Anyway, if you're familiar with Raleigh, it's Matison Motorsports on Durant Rd. Anyway, I might have to take you up on dropping by
                    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
                      And, they're the kind of place that does work that you don't tell them to. I had just changed the oil before taking it in and they "changed the oil for me" even though I mentioned nothing to them about doing it.
                      If you told them to do a 7k or 15k maintenance visit (which includes the valve adjustment), the oil change is a part of the standard maint visit. And because of all the labor involved in getting the fairings off (and how time is billed -- by the service manual which says this takes "X" amount of time), it's far cheaper to say 7.5k or 15k maint visit than to list the other services separately.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I agree completely, and I can see how it would be cheaper - but I didn't tell them to do a 7k service or anything of the sort. I just told them that the valves needed adjusting. That's it.

Now, I could maybe see them assuming I wanted a 7k service seeing as the bike has 8k miles on it, but all I literally told them was that the valves needed adjusting. And, I guess I can't complain too much since the extra work they did (brakes, spark plugs, oil change) was needed. But we (my gf and I) had planned on doing that 'minor' stuff ourselves. I guess it's one of those you'd-have-to-be-there type things... Anyway, *rant off*

But yes, CP, I see what you mean

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
                          I agree completely, and I can see how it would be cheaper - but I didn't tell them to do a 7k service or anything of the sort. I just told them that the valves needed adjusting. That's it.

Now, I could maybe see them assuming I wanted a 7k service seeing as the bike has 8k miles on it, but all I literally told them was that the valves needed adjusting. And, I guess I can't complain too much since the extra work they did (brakes, spark plugs, oil change) was needed. But we (my gf and I) had planned on doing that 'minor' stuff ourselves. I guess it's one of those you'd-have-to-be-there type things... Anyway, *rant off*

But yes, CP, I see what you mean
                          actually, I think any competant mechanic would automatically do an oil change with any servicing that involves open up the engine to any degree that exposes any oil passeges. I believe the valve train is included in that.
                          i think I would be more disappointed in him if he didn't do the oil change. so maybe you should have specified not to do it instead of being disappointed that he did.
                          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Recall ?

My tech told me that there had been a Factory Service Bulletin with regard to valve train, on the 600, 750 and 1200 engines in '03.
                            I'm not sure of the details but I believe it was related to spring tension.

Any of you guys familier with this?
                            "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Re: Recall ?

Originally posted by BobKat2002
                              My tech told me that there had been a Factory Service Bulletin with regard to valve train, on the 600, 750 and 1200 engines in '03.
                              I'm not sure of the details but I believe it was related to spring tension.

Any of you guys familier with this?
                              I'm not, but I did list all the recalls in teh Mech section (it's a sticky by the top). Thaz is supposed to pull the service bulletins sometime soon -- Arsenic probably would have, but got caught out by his accident (please enter the raffle!).

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X