X

Strangest thing with fuel level..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strangest thing with fuel level..

I've driven my GSX 600F -93 for 3 weeks now, and have noticed that the idle sometimes goes upp to 3k rpm or more sometime and stays there.
    And when starting for the first time on a day it should require some choke, but if I try using it when full it wount run.. only if keeping the revs way up. As if it was running rich..

But, when running on the reserve.. choke works perfectly, and idle stays at perfect all the time. If I try to adjust the idle while having lots of fuel I have to adjust it a couple of times every day to keep a good idle speed.

Does my fuel level assembly have some fault or what is causing this problem? Is this a common problem? Could it be caused by a faulty fuel filter? Any ideas? Guess someone else must have had or has this problem.

Should I replace the whole assembly in the tank, or will that be in vain?

Btw, it doesnt make any difference if I put the fuel level on reserve or the normal setting.

It does sound like something fishy with the fuel switch.

But it's odd that is seems to be acting like its rich not lean.. If it were a clogg it would act lean..
    (remember the "choke" is really an enricher,
    not a choke..

It's prety easy to remove and clean / check the fuel cock. You will have to drain or run the fuel down though.. Maybe try every combo?
    Like what does it do:
    Full, on RES, on ON, on PRIME..
    Half full, on RES, on ON, on PRIME..
    near empty, on RES, on ON, on PRIME..

Comment

Oh wait....
      You mean when the TANK is on res.. not the switch??

That is weird.....

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
        Oh wait....
        You mean when the TANK is on res.. not the switch??

That is weird.....
        Yes, it runs very well when the fuel level is down to reserve. If the gauge shows fuel over the red line I cannot use the choke and it behaves strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbrorn
          Yes, it runs very well when the fuel level is down to reserve. If the gauge shows fuel over the red line I cannot use the choke and it behaves strange.
          I suspect it's a case of a drain vent hose from the tank being routed incorrectly, such as possibly to the vacuum nipple on a carb or to the petcock. The line from the underside of the fuel tank should hang free, not connect to anything on the Swedish version of the Katanas. If you have an Austrian or Swiss version, there are some other routing issues that may apply (the same basic ones as the California model).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            Thanks, i'll check it out.. seems I have to remove the sides and everything anyhow

My clutch have started to act, this morning I had problems getting into gear and it seems to get worse.. Yesterday I heard some strange noice from the engine like a "click" every time I pulled the clutch. I assume its not possible to remove the left side of the engine without draining the oil?

Just before I bought it the dealer replaced the clutch wire to a GSXR-wire..

Comment

I assume its not possible to remove the left side of the engine without draining the oil?
              It's possible -- but you won't like the result

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It's possible -- but you won't like the result

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Haha, I may not need to anyhow.. lucky me, seems the wire was bad, a couple of "strings" in the wire had broken off and it was not possible to adjust the wire more.

And, strangely.. the fuel problems seems to have disappeared.. why that is I don't know.. I had the level set to reserve all the time before, and now I've been running on "on" position only.

Comment

Working...
                X