X

Big problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big problem

I tried to remove my air jets(the ones on the carburetor throat) and ended up ruining two of them cause they were really tight,and they're still stuck in there, what's the best way to remove them, with an extractor?any tips would be great. I hope it's not a real big problem.

If we're talking about the same parts (item #16 or #23 on this RonAyers.com - Fiche Diagram for 98+ Kat 600), then they normally get removed by using a flat-headed screwdriver on the slot in the top and turning counter-clockwise. If you've torn up the slots in the jets, order replacements and remove them using a pair of vice-grips locked on from the side.

If we're talking about some other part, let me know which part on the fiche we're talking about.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

actually i was talking about #22 on the fiche diagram, I have a 95 suzuki katana 600, I used a flathead screwdriver and tore up the slots now they're stuck in there, maybe you can help

Comment

I've never tried to take those out, but I would expect the same advice still applies -- order replacements and lock a pair of vice grips on them tight, then rotate them out. Maybe SpecialK or one of the other members has some tidbit of knowledge on this part that I don't...

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah the thing is that it's recessed in a bore and there's no way to get in there with vice grips, but thanks for the help, I guess I'll try to extract them with a set of really small extracters. I was trying to take them out so I could clean them, and the circuit that it controls I guess, big mistake huh?

Comment

Normally you clean them in place with spray carb cleaner and a nylon bristle (some people use a piece of wire, but nylon won't scratch the jet and change the size)...

Good luck with that!
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

darn it, you never make that mistake twice

Comment

Originally posted by ray90813
                darn it, you never make that mistake twice
                I've made a lot of mechanical mistakes in my days... These days, wisdom has taught me to buy a spare of whatever on ebay and tinker with the spare first if I'm not familiar with the parts/set-up/etc. When it came time to do my first carbs, I bought an extra set, ripped them apart, cleaned, jetted, and then just swapped carbs instead of risking myself being stranded with an issue... The thing I always had issues with were the float bowl retaining screws not wanting to come out.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, I'm almost at the point where I'm gonna put the money into a new set of carburetors, I'm getting tired of trying to make this old one work, I'm gonna give it one more shot though, and see if i can get it done myself without going broke. i know how engines and such work, but carbs, no clue, so hopefully someone can help me out, if not then who knows where I can get a set for a decent price.

Comment

get a mechanics manual, it would be a good place to start.
                    Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

does anyone know if mikuni has an actual manual on their carburetors with specs and diagrams

Comment

Working...
                      X