X

Installing a 1989 1100 into a 2006 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a 1989 1100 into a 2006 750

I have a couple of questions and I am sorry if these have been answered somewhere else. I have searched but need some more specific advice

I recently picked up a 1989 gsxr 1100 engine. I have the engine, alternator, starter, wiring harness, and cdi. The rest i was planning on stealing from my 06 750.

1.) Carbs - The stock carbs for the 89 1100 are 36mm slingshots, I believe. Could I just use the 36mm carbs that are on my 06 750? What is the difference between slingshot carbs and constant velocity carbs? My 750 carbs have Ivan's jet kit installed. If I can use these any ideas on how I should change the jetting, or will I just have to richen it a bit and play around with the clip height?

2.) Sprockets - I believe that the 89 gsxr came with a 15/48 set up. I have a 15/45 on the 06. What sprocket set up do you run or have heard that others run? What type of gas mileage can I expect to typically get? I do alot of riding in the mountains and freeway.

3.) CDI - Do I use the CDI from my 06 or the one from the 89? As my 06 has the TPS and the 89 does not.

4.) Header - Is there another header that has the same size exhaust flanges or should I track down a header from 88-92? I have a hayabusa header that I was going to fit up to the 750 by cutting off the flanges and welding the 750 flanges on. Can I still do this for the 1100? Will the 750 flanges fit?

Are there any tips or tricks that you can think of that will make my life easier while installing the engine?

I truly appreciate your time and advice.

Thanks!!!

Jedd
    Last edited by jeddi03; 02-11-2009, 11:18 AM. Reason: clarification

Don't know the answers to most of your questions but I do know that you want to keep the CDI that matches the engine. The timing, dwell, etc. has to match. It's possible the 750 CDI might work but I wouldn't bank on it.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

ok, here's is what I would do. If you swap carbs you're gonna put yourself in a WORLD of hurt with everything else that needs to change. Keep the 36mm carbs off your 06, keep the CDI of your 06. As far as headers and sprockets, don't feel like thinking that much right now.

Comment

Chris,

Do you feel like thinking now?

Comment

not sure if this helps but i used a full b12 exhaust when i swapped the 1127 in my pre 600.
          Chrome Project Part 1
          http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

yeah, go with what bling bling said with the B12 header. Sprockets are your personal call, it's what YOU are going for, neither stock set up matters As far as the Ivan's kit, loose that and use a Factory Pro, the Ivan's is gonna be WAY off.

Comment

I was just trying to collect info on what sprocket set ups other have ran or are running to see what I want to go with before dropping the cash and not being happy.

Comment

Anybody else have any inputs?

Comment

For the sprockets try what you have now and if you like it great. If not do some experimentation. Good luck with your swap too.
                  Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                  Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I have a 14/50 120 link chain on a 98+ tail

Comment

With these swaps i always start with the stock gearing for the engine i'm using & very rarely feel the need to change that
                      Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

This is place to post up your long term projects. Projects that took you a while to get done. Post them here. Examples like kwebbel's build up , B-12 engine swaps, swing arm swaps etc..would go here.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                        X