X

are the coils interchangable?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are the coils interchangable?

Can you switch coils to the other sides and still run the engine??? I am going to switch the coils on the bike to the other sides and see if it is the coil that is causing my number 1 cyclinder to partially fire.
    Is Effingham a swear word?

The coils are in pairs...........1 & 4 fire at the same time, and 2 & 3 fire at the same time but alternately to 1 & 4. So...........your TIMING is 1 & 4 UP while 2 & 4 are down, and so on.............

The wires are different: one side has orange and white while the other side has orange and black. The ORANGE ALWAYS goes onto the positive side of the coil. (Look AT the end of the coil - there are little "+" and "-" signs near each terminal!!)

Switching them, without switching the wires also..............will not do much good.

Sounds to me like its a SPARK PLG or CARB issue..................

There's no substitute for good plugs. I ONLY run NGK "K" plugs in all my Kats..............anything less just seems to cause undo problems.

Also..................I've found that most engine problems (like you describe) stem from CARB issues.................

8)
    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I changed my cams in the winter with 2 feet of snow on ground. I was thinking my gaps might be off on the valves, so I checked those today. The valve clearences were fine. Then I cleaned the # 1 carb and took all the parts out of it, except for the choke assembly.

I am thinking the bike popped less when I switched from 110 to 112.5 main jets and I will change up to larger main jets. It doesnt make sense to me that 3 cylinders run well and the 1 doesnt, but maybe they all run a little bad and #1 runs more bad. Dont people put larger main jets on the outside cylinder and smaller main jets on the inside cylinders?

Comment

Originally posted by illinoiskat
        It doesnt make sense to me that 3 cylinders run well and the 1 doesnt, but maybe they all run a little bad and #1 runs more bad. Dont people put larger main jets on the outside cylinder and smaller main jets on the inside cylinders?
        One cylinder may run poorly because the actual spark plug cable is faulty (bad resistance values), or the plug itself is damaged (such as a broken electrode within the ceramic -- something not evident from the outside and not always measurable with an ohm-tester, because the break may open up with engine vibration).

The carbs normally ship from Suzuki with one step different jetting on the inside cylinders vs. the outside cylinders in the USA for EPA pollution reasons -- the inner cylinders run hotter since they have less air passing over them when the bike is moving. This isn't the case in all the foreign market versions.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So is differential carb setting good or bad??? I have read people setting up their jet kits differentially and I am wondering if that is a direction I should go.

Comment

So is differential carb setting good or bad??? I have read people setting up their jet kits differentially and I am wondering if that is a direction I should go.
            It helps for pollution reasons, but doesn't produce the most power. In countries where the exhaust requirements are measured at speeds other than idle, all the jets are normally the same size -- which can offer more power under most circumstances. I wouldn't concern myself about having one-step down center jets unless you're running into problems specifically with cylinders 2 & 3 and a trained mechanic who is actually looking at your bike specifically recommends it.

cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              I wouldn't concern myself about having one-step down center jets unless you're running into problems specifically with cylinders 2 & 3 and a trained mechanic who is actually looking at your bike specifically recommends it.

cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              So, we cant figure out what trained mechanics know?

Comment

So, we cant figure out what trained mechanics know?
                So we can't say that a trained mechanic with that particular bike, a dyno machine and an exhaust analyzer will not see something that we can't see here on the board based on the descriptions of someone with less training.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I am bidding on a set of used coils off of ebay. I will get 4 new plugs.

One other thing that I think of is the float heights. I changed them, but I wonder if I got em right.

I put 117.5 jets in the bike today over the 112.5. Now when I rev the bike up to 8k it surges from 8000 to 8250. It does not climb to 10k from 8k like it did before. I read that a surging bike is a sign of a lean set up or could it be poorly balanced carbs, or a differential setting of float heights?

Comment

Working...
                  X