X

Carburetor Rebuild Kit??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetor Rebuild Kit??

Well I'm going to dive into the carburetors on my '97 Katana 750. Hopefully it will be just a cleaning but I'd like to be prepared in case anything needs replacing. Does anyone know a website that offers the rebuild kit for Mikuni's BST36SS? I can't find any rebuild kits for my bike! The website below offers the kit for years '98-06 but I'm not sure if it will work.

Any Suggestions?

P.S. Great site for Carb tuning: http://www.owners.heskethmotorcycles...carb/intro.htm

Hemp

I only know of rebuild kits for the 98-06 750 carbs, and no, that doesn't come close to working

Comment

Most LIKELY all you'll need (if anything) are some o-rings , MAYBE the pilot jet plugs , or possibly the needle jets (emulsion tubes) ..... I'd tear into 'em and see before plonking down for a bunch of parts you prolly won't end up needing .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I've had to replace every single o-ring there is in my '95 750 carbs. Most of them I had to get from a bike shop or the dealer. Biggest money saver I found was the float needles. (If one is bad plan on replacing all 4.) Suzuki wants to sell you the float along with the needles for $65 each but they're available from K+L as part # 18-8944, "(5/P) MIKUNI-TYPE FLOAT NEEDLE: M4" and sold for about $13 each at my local parts house. While you're at it you might want to replace the vacuum hose that goes from #4 to the petcock and the airbox drain hose. (Make sure that's pinched off.)
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Here's a list of the parts...
          A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
          mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Good Advice

That's some darn good advice from you all. Looks like if I purchase any parts I'll likely have to go through the dealer. Awesome reference info thank you guys very much.

Cheers

Hemp

Comment

MOST of the carb o-rings CAN be found at the hardware store if you spend a little time searching ...... Actually , I found ALL but the 2 smallest ones (synch port and pilot screw) at Lowes .

Comment

You've got a better Lowes than I do! Everything I found at the hardware store or auto parts store was just a leeetle bit off.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

1.5x5 and 1.5x7 I think are the size of the two o-rings MD is talking about.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    1.5x5 and 1.5x7 I think are the size of the two o-rings MD is talking about.
                    THe teeny ones ? But I found both the float o-rings and the #7 o-ring for under the slide . Just took them with me to compare .

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                      THe teeny ones ? But I found both the float o-rings and the #7 o-ring for under the slide . Just took them with me to compare .
                      No, The ones that can be found at Lowes or whatever.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

You can try the mukini parts for the carb. I did this. It came with everything but the F\A o-rings I got those from bike bandit. The float needles were not exactly the right length but it didn't matter as they adjusted right.. The kit also came with some mytery parts I got the kits from Old bike barn for about $20 each.

Comment

the float valves are available from carbskitcapital.com for about $5/each. You can buy the o-rings from McMaster Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com) - you will have to order in bulk, but will still save money over trying to buy a kit. You can get stainless steel hardware at the same time. The needles were the most expensive part of my re-build at about $11/each. The needles and float gaskets are the only parts I went to the dealer for...and never will again. Why is it every dealer thinks ****ty service deserves a 200% markup?

Comment

Hey $5 that's a deal.

Comment

yea I just went to my home depot yesterday and got the o-rings for my main jets. They looked close to a #5 but with closer inspection, noticed a #47 was right on the money. Found them in the plumbing section.
                              "If you aint first, you're last"

Comment

Working...
                              X