Rear wheel spacer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel spacer

Hey,

I did a stupid thing today. I took the wheels off of my 600 today to have my new tires put on. I didn't watch close enough when I pulled off the rear. I lost the spacer on the left (sprocket) side. I know something is missing because the castle nut on the right is on way too far. The cotter pin will not touch the castle nut let alone stop if from spinning.

The thing that I'm looking for is the thickness of the spacer. If someone can measure theirs, or maybe you have an extra one laying around to measure, I can make one at work on Wednesday. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jeff

Go to ronayer.com and check the micro fiche and verify what you are missing, because there is a spacer and a washer on that side.

Comment

sorry bro, there's no spacer on the sprocket side, there is however a thick washer that goes on before the nut it is about a 1/4" thick. or about 3 or 4 standard flat washers if you stack them. so you could go to the harware store and get comperable standard flat washers to take it's place.

Comment

Sorry, I was looking at the micro fiche and thought the oil seal was a washer. Doesn’t that spacer fit inside the oil seal to keep dirt out of the bearings?

Comment

Originally posted by Ace280
          Sorry, I was looking at the micro fiche and thought the oil seal was a washer. Doesn’t that spacer fit inside the oil seal to keep dirt out of the bearings?
          There is a "spacer" according to the fiche, but it goes inside the oil seal and on on the pre 98 bikes sits flush with the cast area on the sprocket carier, on the 98+ bikes it actaully sticks out and whe the wheel is mounted is actuall looks like an add on spacer. on either bike, if this part is not in place the wheel won't Turn! which is why I point to the washer.

Comment

Originally posted by chriskatana
            sorry bro, there's no spacer on the sprocket side, there is however a thick washer that goes on before the nut it is about a 1/4" thick. or about 3 or 4 standard flat washers if you stack them. so you could go to the harware store and get comperable standard flat washers to take it's place.
            I have the washer on under the castle nut. That's why I was thinking that I was missing a spacer somewhere. Is there supposed to be a noticeable gap between the sprocket and the swingarm?
            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jeffs
              I have the washer on under the castle nut. That's why I was thinking that I was missing a spacer somewhere. Is there supposed to be a noticeable gap between the sprocket and the swingarm?
              No.
              the sprocket butts right up against the swingarm, there is no gap.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. I wonder what I'm missing. The sproket is against the swing arm. On the right I have the castle nut, the thick washer, and the special washer (the part to line up the adjustment lines).
                Jeff

Comment

I had a similar problem with my my 2001 600, I think I initally jujst over torqued the nut and squeezed the swingarm sides in. On that bike, i added a few washers under the nut, to make up the difference, so that the cotter pin was serving it's purpose.
                  sounds ghetto, but it worked for me.

Comment

If it fit before , and now does NOT , I think it's safe to say you're missing something . Find any good exploded diagram (the fiche CAN be helpful ...) and figger it out . If it's not a biatch to put back together , you're probably not doing it right ! I had a helluva time getting that little spacer/bearing seal to stay put while putting the wheel back on , just to give you some idea . It was all a fairly tight fit getting it back in there .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Contrary to earlier comments, the sprocket does NOT rest up against the swing arm!

There IS a small gap, and the HUB IS spaced slilghtly OFF the swingarm by means of a small spacer that fits neatly into the hub on the sprocket side.

Of course, I have a few spares, or if you can make one, I can gladly supply exact measurements to you. PM me and I'll grab one and measure it - its just a simple ring or donut of steel.......................
                      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by chriskatana
                        I had a similar problem with my my 2001 600, I think I initally jujst over torqued the nut and squeezed the swingarm sides in. On that bike, i added a few washers under the nut, to make up the difference, so that the cotter pin was serving it's purpose.
                        sounds ghetto, but it worked for me.
                        I torqued the nut to the right amount. I'm just going to have to pull the thing back apart and recheck everything. One other thing that's bothering me is that the brake caliper lined up perfectly with the caliper torque link. You would think that if I was missing something on the left hand side it would show up at the torque link also.

Drives me crazy when you have a bike with brand new rubber and you can't ride it because you do a bone head move like this.

Jeff

Comment

Wow, my cotter pin doesn't touch my castle nut either..... I thought it was just there to stop it from falling off! It's never come loose, though, but that might just be from me being hamfisted with the big wrench.....
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Here is the stack that I have for the right (caliper) side of the wheel:

Here is the sprocket side of the wheel:

Can anyone see what I might be missing?

Thanks
                            Jeff

Comment

Working...
                            X