X

valve adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve adjustment

I have hear of people doing valve adjustment what i was wondering is how is it done?

you will need to buy a manual. Look at Trinc's sticky on the top of this page, go to his web page. Hit valve adjustment. My guess is It will take 6 to 8 hours.
    Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

It is not too hard, as long as you have forked rockers. I would suggest buying a valve adjustment kit, this makes it easier.

Comment

On your year Kat:

Remove lower & upper fairings.
        Remove gas tank
        Remove cross bar over valve covers
        Loosen oil cooler and set aside (this step isn't necessary, but makes the job easier when it comes to removing/reinstalling front valve cover bolt)
        Remove coils and plug wires. Be sure to label them so you plug them back into the right coil.
        Undo bolts on valve cover. Remove spark plugs.
        Remove valve cover, set aside.
        Remove signal cover on right side of bike. Rotate engine to appropriate position.
        Measure the appropriate valves (the ones in the right position) and if too tight or too lose, loosen the nut, turn the tappet by the square head, and retighten the nut. Remeasure. Move on.
        After doing all of the ones lined up, rotate the engine again and do the rest.
        Then, because you're doing it at home, repeat -- rotate, measure to double-check, rotate and measure again.
        Once satisfied, reassemble everything.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Don't forget ....
          Clean up oil puddle on porch .
          Find parts you misplaced because you were in a hurry .
          Have plenty of clean rags for blood cleanup .
          Take tank off because you forgot to tighten/reconnect something ...
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Re: valve adjustment

Originally posted by andrehendricken
            I have hear of people doing valve adjustment what i was wondering is how is it done?

Since the others honestly replied, I'll add the std. required smartaleck humor stuff this time:

V-E-R-Y CAREFULLY!

8)
            I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
            Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
            Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

6-8 hours????? Dauym. Take me and corey only about 30 minutes to do it......... Once we drop the engine

On a kat engine though, you won't need to drop it, everything will come off without clearance issues.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

if you've never taken the bike apart it may take awhile - but i guess i spent a couple hours & i took my time ( and pictures )

tim

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                  Take me and corey only about 30 minutes to do it......... Once we drop the engine
                  Lou, you never answered my question -- do you have to drop the 1100 engine in the 98+ Kat 600 frame to do a valve adjustment?

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

A really good idea, Take pictures(if you have a digital camera) as you take the bike apart. That way you have step by step photos for cable routing and such.

Saved me when I couldn't remember which way I had to re-plug in the coils .
                    Kyle

Comment

6-8 hours????? Dauym. Take me and corey only about 30 minutes to do it......... Once we drop the engine

On a kat engine though, you won't need to drop it, everything will come off without clearance issues.
                      and they both have great running bikes LMAO
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

make sure you put you bolts in little plastic bags. I put labels in the bags too. The first valve adustment I put in new cams, so that made it a bit longer plus I did it in 20-30 degree temperatures It probably took me 15 hours by the time I ran around getting new tools and got the bolts off my old cams and put the proper sprockets on the replacement cams. And all the starts and stops I did.
                        Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          Take me and corey only about 30 minutes to do it......... Once we drop the engine
                          Lou, you never answered my question -- do you have to drop the 1100 engine in the 98+ Kat 600 frame to do a valve adjustment?

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          I didn't even see that question. Yeah, we have to drop it down, it hinges down though, so that makes it a bit easier, but it is still a pain in the arse. And I had the 750, not enough clearance though with as big as the head is. So yeah, hing it down, and remove the valve cover.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

I didn't even see that question. Yeah, we have to drop it down, it hinges down though, so that makes it a bit easier, but it is still a pain in the arse. And I had the 750, not enough clearance though with as big as the head is. So yeah, hing it down, and remove the valve cover.
                            Next time you drop it to access the valve covers, can you shoot some pics or video? I'll host the pics/vid, but I'm really curious to see what's involved.

Thanks
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

No problem. Are you wanting to see everything bolt wise that we have to remove to actually drop the engine, or just good pics of the valve cover area?
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X