Close Call this Weekend: I Lost the Master Link on My Chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close Call this Weekend: I Lost the Master Link on My Chain

Hi KatRiders,

So I was riding through a little town Saturday morning when I had a relatively scary chain failure. I was accelerating in 2nd gear at around 40mph when I heard a lound snap/clank noise and lost all power to the rear wheel.

I coasted into a nearby parking lot and hopped off to see that my chain was dangling on the ground from my rear axle. After a close look I found that the master link was missing. I've only had the bike for a month or so and am hoping the warranty I purchased from the dealer will cover it.

My question is... has anyone else ever had this happen to them? From what I hear I'm pretty lucky that no major damage was caused. What type of chain is everyone running? A mechanic I talked to this weekend said to replace the stock chain with a high quality o-ring chain instead of trying to repair my current one.

Thanks...
    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Re: Close Call this Weekend: I Lost the Master Link on My Ch

Originally posted by skasner
    Hi KatRiders,

My question is... has anyone else ever had this happen to them? From what I hear I'm pretty lucky that no major damage was caused.
    Yup . Twice . Yup , you got lucky . Sometimes the chain will wrap itself around the output shaft and REALLY mess up your engine , or wrap itself around the rear wheel causing it to lock up , or just swat you in the a$$ or leg and take a nice chunk of skin with it . All mine did was take a nice chunk of metal off the wheel and swingarm .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Wow. Scary. Demand a rivet link next time.
      Bike is sold

Comment

clip type masterlink is fine to use - the closed end of the clip must be in the direction of travel. a little silicone may also help keep it on. also make sure that the two sprockets are aligned properly ( don't use the marks on the swingarm ) that can put a lot of pressure on the chains side plates ( and the clip of the masterlink.)

tim

Comment

I don't like master-link systems because the master link is literally the weakest point in the chain... But it can still pay to carry a spare one under the seat in case you chain breaks in the middle of no-where.

For replacements, I like RK's complete sprocket & chain set, which runs around $139 from many dealers ($159 in gold side-plates, but it's the same chain). Tools are needed to install a permanent link chain, but you can make do with a $7 rivet tool from a bicycle shop if need be (won't last for many chains, but at that price, who cares, right?).
          You can find the pro-level tools used by most mechanics here:
          Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

and you can order them through most mail order vendors and any PartsUnlimited outlet (which is every dealership and mc shop in the USA).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I almost had the same exeriance. the clip came off mine. I know I was going down the highway without it. Corey found it after we did the 600 mile tune up. Man was I lucky it didn't come apart.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

yea i had the same problem but mine fell of when i was pulling into my garage
              The Katana's Big Brother
              1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

I guess the words "master link" in my subject implied I had a clip-on like. I'm honestly not sure what type of chain it was... whatever comes stock on a 99 katana.

All I know is that all of the remaining links on the chain look the same and I have two rounded off links at each end. I never was able to find the missing piece laying in the road anywhere.

The dealer just told me my warranty won't cover fixing it because it is considered a maintenance item. Gotta love that... just bought the bike... paid an extra 300/yr for a warranty... and then a month later when something goes wrong they punk out.
                I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Comment

I guess the words "master link" in my subject implied I had a clip-on like. I'm honestly not sure what type of chain it was... whatever comes stock on a 99 katana.
                  The original chain is an endless chain (no master rivet nor master-link), installed at the factory at time of assembly. These chains are rare after the initial one because of the trouble involved in installing an "endless" chain...

Normally not covered under any warrantee:
                  bulbs, oil, oil filters, tires, brake pads, brake fluids, chains, and other forms of lubrication. Why? Because all of these parts are designed to wear out over time and get replaced as part of standard maintenance -- as well as having variable life-spans depending on useage levels and maintenance levels (i.e. - chains last 10 times longer if you clean & lube them regularly).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

A new master link usualy only runs a coupla bucks too.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                      also make sure that the two sprockets are aligned properly ( don't use the marks on the swingarm )tim
                      I've heard that you shouldn't use the marks on the swing arm to align the rear wheel. What other method should one use to align the wheel?

Thanks,
                      Jeff

Comment

I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

A bike racer in my family told me to just buy a new clip-on master link and use the chain that broke. We checked the stretch and curvature of it and he said it should be fine to keep on using. Any thoughts on this?

I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment and spending a few bucks and some time on it instead of over a hundred dollars to get a new one sounds like a plan.

Comment

A bike racer in my family told me to just buy a new clip-on master link and use the chain that broke. We checked the stretch and curvature of it and he said it should be fine to keep on using. Any thoughts on this?

I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment and spending a few bucks and some time on it instead of over a hundred dollars to get a new one sounds like a plan.
                            It should work fine in the meantime. I am wanting a rivet on my chain due to the power that I am pushing through. With the kat though, I think you would be just fine with the clip on.
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

IMHO: Spend the $40 that JC Whitney gets for their cheap 530 O-ring chain and replace it. If it lasts half as long as $100 chain, you got your money's worth...
                              My normal advice is to never use a chain that has already broken on you unless it was a master-clip that gave out while pretty much standing still, because that means the chain is already borderline defective at best and because of possible damages it received while sliding over the ground after coming off the bike...

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X