X

Broke a rear wheel bearing!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke a rear wheel bearing!

So out for a ride last night I feel like my rear is getting wobbly, first i chalk it up to the groves/ lines in the freeway, then even when i got on smooth asphault Im still noticing it. Stop and start looking over the rear end i couldnt notice anything, decided to limp it home. Got the rear wheel off and notice that the brake side bearing race is cracked in half. Anybody know how this could've happened?

Already ordered a new set of the speed balls through bike bandit (under forty bucks front and rear) Anything I should expect or be fore warned of before I change them out?

nothing, that stuff happens, nothing weird happened. That's what I got paid to fix

Comment

Thanks! Take it you used to be a mechanic somewhere?

Comment

Suzuki dealership in Naperville Illinios

Comment

over tightening the rear axle or a bad seal is about the only thing thats going to cause a bearing to fail other then normal wear.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

notice he said "normal wear" that stuff happens

Comment

Ok sounds good, just wanted to make sure their wasnt something i needed to look out for... thanks guys!

Comment

My guess is that it broke at some point previously where the chain adjusters were not set correctly and the axle wasn't torqued down to spec -- the whole wheel shifts forward on the left side under acceleration, and in a worst-case scenario the stress that induces on the bearing cracks the case. This can be further aggravated by overly aggressive use of spray brake cleaners being sprayed into the seam of the bearing cover plate while cleaning the rear rotor & pads; if it goes into the crack, it can eat the lube under it. It can also be aggravated by mis-stacking the spacers between swingarm & the wheel.

Personally, I would replace both the rear axle (OEM) and the bearings on both sides (All Balls brand replacement bearings), just to be on the same side. Pack the new bearings with marine-grade wheel bearing lube if you can get some (motorcycle wheel bearings see more water than most vehicles), and coat the new axle shaft with anti-seize before sliding it through.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                Last edited by The CyberPoet; 02-07-2009, 11:42 AM.
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X