X

shift kit and ignition advancer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shift kit and ignition advancer

i have a 98 katana 600 can someone tell me what a shift kit and a 5 degree ignition advancer will do for my bike this question might sound crazy but i dont no im new to this performace stuff

Shift kit will change the way the shifter feels, making the shifts cleaner by requiring a bit more force and a bit less movement to switch gears.

An advancer will let your engine come up to temp faster and will give you a bit more low-end performance. Some people swear by them -- I have one, but couldn't really tell a difference. Basically, what it does is advance the spark timing by 5 degrees, so your engine sparks earlier.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I put in a shift kit in my bike (91 600). The bike used to miss shifts a few times per week. It's made a difference, haven't missed one shift yet. Like CyberPoet said, it requires a bit more force. I'd suggest getting one if your bike misses shifts; if it doesn't, It might not be worth it.

I've heard a lot of good things about ignition advancers, that's going to be my next mod.
      'He who is not afraid will always be safe'
      --Lao Tzu

Comment

wouldnt the ignition advancer cause a rough idle?
        How bad is this for the bike? any overheating problems at stops after a hard ride??

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsblckhwk
          wouldnt the ignition advancer cause a rough idle?
          How bad is this for the bike? any overheating problems at stops after a hard ride??
          I haven't noticed any roughness nor any overheating, but it might be a contributing factor in extremely hot weather if you got stuck in a traffic jam after a long highway run at speed.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I put both in my bike and would do it again. It starts easier and the shifts are much crisper.

Comment

Crisper is the right word!

That's what I'd say...................

The Ignition Advancer will "feel" like you've got more "pep" to yoru bike......... There's aanother thread on here about them..........check it out by doing a search!
              I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
              Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
              Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
                Crisper is the right word!

That's what I'd say...................

The Ignition Advancer will "feel" like you've got more "pep" to yoru bike......... There's aanother thread on here about them..........check it out by doing a search!
                What he said!!

I got a advancer from Special K and I definetly recommend it. (2 thumbs up)
                I disconnected my fan which used to run for more than 20min, and like CyberPoet had told me, it might make it a little harder to start when hot, and sure enough it did. After i got the advancer in bike starts faster, gets up to temp faster, and I noticed a little power at low and mid range. For less than $50, its got to be one of the best mods yet requiring simple tools and 20min. No more long warm up waits.
                Once again thanks K!!!!
                DON'T HATE THE PLAYA, HATE THE GAME!!

Comment

I have both, and would do it again.
                  The shift kit for 98+ Kats is a replacement shift detent spring.
                  More positive shifts are the results.
                  Bike is sold

Comment

Originally posted by Nate91kat
                    I put in a shift kit in my bike (91 600)
                    where did you get the shift kit?

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
                    "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

www.denniskirk.com I believe it was $39.99 made by Factory. The kit consists of an oil pan gasket, exhaust gaskets, and a stiffer detent spring.

I took some pictures of the install, they're on my home pc. I'll try to post some later.
                      --Lao Tzu

Comment

factory, bandit, gsf, 1200, carb, carburetor, carburator, tuning, stage 3, config 30, stage 1, mikuni, BMC, air filter, auto, automotive, motorcycle, ega, exhaust gas analyzer, factory, Aprilia, bandit, Honda, BMW, Buell, cbr, cbr600, ec997, eddy current, gsx, gsxr, ignition advance, Indian, jet, Kaw, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Mikuni, Keihin, Harley Davidson, r6, salvisberg, shift kit, tuning, billet, engine cover, dyno, dynojet, power commander, 100, 150, 200, factory, emulsion tube, needle jet, transmission detent, allen screw, racing, sounds, frame bumper,

That's all of FactoryPro's products for the 98+ Kat 600's...

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

sweet deal and thanks for the link!

Comment

I just put a shift kit in my bike, too. Working in a garage, late at night, with a small flashlight, and the bike on it's sidestand....... it took me probably an hour and a half. 15 minutes of which was searching for that little snapring that holds the arm in place. I lost it when it flew away in the engine somewhere. It eventually fell back out, but I was scared for a while! Much improved shifting though, I highly recommend.
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

15 minutes of which was searching for that little snapring that holds the arm in place. I lost it when it flew away in the engine somewhere. It eventually fell back out, but I was scared
                              I had the same thing happen to me, but it took me about an hour to find it. I tried to use plyers and a screw driver to take the c ring on and off. Always good to have the right tool for the right job.
                              --Lao Tzu

Comment

Working...
                              X