X

Knocking at idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knocking at idle

I've been hearing a weird knocking noise at idle lately. Doesn't happen all the time and it goes away as soon as you come off idle. I'm using 91 octane gas and the only mod to the engine is a V&H ignition advancer. I tried the stock advancer, but the noise is still there. Any ideas?

Could be either bad carbon build-up (a hot spot), which can be cleaned out with some high-detergent fuels plus certain fuel-system cleaners, OR it could be that what you are hearing is actually something else, such as a bad or bent valve, or cam-chain slop from a bad cam-chain tensioner assembly.

Q: What the mileage, and when's the last time the valves were adjusted? Plus who did the valve adjustment?

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

There are about 8600km on the bike right now. The valve have never been adjusted. Could it be time to check them? What kind of fuel system cleaners do you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by ekim
        There are about 8600km on the bike right now. The valve have never been adjusted. Could it be time to check them? What kind of fuel system cleaners do you recommend?
        They should have been checked at 1000 km, as per Suzuki guidelines. Suzuki engineers acknowledged in a magazine interview that one out of every 20 valves goes out of spec within the first 600 miles (1000 km), which is why that initial valve clearance check/adjustment is so critical. It also gives a trained mechanic a chance to see the top end of the engine, where he may note other problems (such as material defects) that weren't visible on the production line and didn't show up until the engine was heated/cooled/stressed.

As for fuel system cleaners, my recommendation is Chevron Techron (black bottle), available at most auto parts stores, many super-stores (Walmart, Target, etc). 1/3rd of the small bottle poured into the tank when you get to the gas pump, then fill up all the way.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well I put the stock advancer back on and went for a ride and the noise is gone. Last time I just started the bike and no ride. Oh well look like I'll have an advancer for sale.

Comment

Working...
          X