X

cant get it to idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant get it to idle

1996 600 kat fully stock- i just rebuilt my carbs everything is clean as can be so idk whats wrong- problem is i start it on choke and it cranks right up idles a little high but i figure thats an adjustment or normal on choke, i start to back it off of choke and the idle becomes erratic and dies if i take choke off all the way- mixture screws are out 2.5 turns- airbox is not on at all dont know if thats a problem- but i dont think i can sync it with it on choke - right?

Before doing any teardown try putting the air box and the filter back in. may not be pulling enough vac on the carbs

Comment

will do as soon as my filter gets here i had to order it- and i really dont want to tear into the carbs again i did that all last week after and before work- any other ideas until i get my filter- no not a k/n-

Comment

If you ordered it from me, it'll be there the second mail day (i.e. out Friday, your end Monday).
        If you ordered from somewhere else, well, your guess is as good as mine.
        Meanwhile, yes, you need your filter & airbox to get a healthy idle.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

no i got it from motorcycle superstore i should of checked with you cp but sometimes i just forget where to look- once i get my filter in ill try again and see what happens- is 2.5 turns out just right for a pre and one of my mixture screws seems hard to get in all the way but i know its not cross threaded and im pretty sure its seating

Comment

Originally posted by cleankat96 View Post
            no i got it from motorcycle superstore i should of checked with you cp but sometimes i just forget where to look
            Just click the "Sponsored by MotorcycleAnchor" graphic in the mechanic forum or click the link on any of my posts...

Originally posted by cleankat96 View Post
            once i get my filter in ill try again and see what happens- is 2.5 turns out just right for a pre and one of my mixture screws seems hard to get in all the way but i know its not cross threaded and im pretty sure its seating
            If you're having problems getting it to seat properly, unscrew it all the way and look at it carefully -- check to make sure there's not damages on the o-ring, etc. Should be finger-tight at bottom, not gorilla-tight, before you start turning it back outwards.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
              Just click the "Sponsored by MotorcycleAnchor" graphic in the mechanic forum or click the link on any of my posts...

If you're having problems getting it to seat properly, unscrew it all the way and look at it carefully -- check to make sure there's not damages on the o-ring, etc. Should be finger-tight at bottom, not gorilla-tight, before you start turning it back outwards.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

i noticed that the orings seem to have a conical shape to them on the mixture screws- i replaced every other one on the carbs except for the mixture screws and vacuum port oring- should they be replaced?

is 2.5 turns out from seated correct on the mixture screws for a pre 600?
              Last edited by cleankat96; 01-25-2009, 11:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

2.5 turns should give you a good, healthy idle if you don't have any other issues.

If they are conical, it wouldn't hurt to replace them -- they're cheap (whole set is under $10). But I'd be more worried about cracking, missing chunks or outside debris on the o-rings myself.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

the boots on the motor-where the carbs go into- have cracks on the outside but i checked inside with a flash light and i didnt see anything, could it be a possibility that when the motor is on its intake stroke that non visible cracks are opening

Comment

It's always a possibility. You could coat them with something after bolting them on, then check the insides after running the engine to see if any migrated. I'd suggest red rubber grease (a specific grease intended to help rubber stay supple and age slower), but it's neigh on impossible to find in the USA (I do have a tub of it here -- thanks to certain KR members!).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

possible but unlikly, most of your problem is the airbox/filter; id get them on and run it before trying to diagnose any other problems, these parts are vital to the correct opperation of the fuel delivery system. and its hard to get a reliable baseline without them.

Comment

Originally posted by hughwrath06 View Post
                        possible but unlikly, most of your problem is the airbox/filter; id get them on and run it before trying to diagnose any other problems, these parts are vital to the correct opperation of the fuel delivery system. and its hard to get a reliable baseline without them.
                        makes sense wouldnt it make the vacuum all crazy with no box to keep the pressure stable?- and when i disassembled the carbs i also noticed that the po slightly tweaked the jets that sit down inside under the rubber plugs, i asked a local shop and they didnt seem to concerned with it- when i say tweaked i mean the part where the screw driver goes into the head of the jet, like a almost stripped screw head- if that makes sense

Comment

withought the negitive vacume created by the engine in the airbox. fuel has trouble being drawn from the carb fuel bowls. this is why most people recomend not using k/n filters they flow much more air than stock filters reducing the vacume in the airbox. this can be corrected by rejetting carbs but the engines dont like running between 15k-16k withought loading up and being tempermental.

the above 15-16k is typo what i ment to say is 1500 to 6000 rpm range.
                          Last edited by hughwrath06; 01-26-2009, 12:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by hughwrath06 View Post
                            withought the negitive vacume created by the engine in the airbox. fuel has trouble being drawn from the carb fuel bowls. this is why most people recomend not using k/n filters they flow much more air than stock filters reducing the vacume in the airbox. this can be corrected by rejetting carbs but the engines dont like running between 15k-16k withought loading up and being tempermental.

the above 15-16k is typo what i ment to say is 1500 to 6000 rpm range.
                            thanks for the info its very helpful what about the jets in my previous post

Comment

Tweaking under them plugs means someone didn't know WTF they were doing . There IS no tweaking except to change jets , which is usually pretty dumb ....
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X