X

Sprocket and Chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprocket and Chain

Hey guys I have a 03 katana 600 and I was planning on buying a new sprocket and chain......this will be the first time replaceing this and I was wondering what are some good brands to deal with and just how hard is it to do myself??

ThanksIX

Easy with your manual and proper tools. as far as brands go, D.I.D., RK are good ones for the cost.

Sprockets go, sprocket specialties, afam http://www.afamusa.com/
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Just ordered in an RK chain and sprocket set from Ron Ayers...$140 incl shipping. It comes with the rivet master link, though, so try to find the tool and borrow it because the tool is pricey to buy and only use every couple of years.

Here's the CycleGear version...

So get the clip link if you can order it or like I said, try to borrow the chain press.
      My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

What is the best tooth number for the front and back for the best acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by Adonis
          What is the best tooth number for the front and back for the best acceleration?
          on the 600 i like my 15-50 & it uses a 120 link chain a 14-47 will require you to cut the chain down to 118.

tim

Comment

Note that if your front sprocket has never been changed, you will need an impact wrench or at least an impact driver to break it loose. Because of the type of loctite the factory uses, putting progressively more pressure on it won't work -- you need to put lots of instanteous pressure on it to break the loctite's bond.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I can attest to that fact. I just about knocked my bike of a lift trying to get the stock sprocket loose. What size of socket do I need for that thing anyhow? I was using a big cresent wrench because I didnt have a big enough socket for the impact wrench. I have a 99.
              I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
              http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

1 1/4" , I believe ...
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

So, I am doing basically the same thing as the OP here, changing out my chain and sprocket for fresh ones (the old ones are of unknown origin).

I have no idea how I am going to get that nut off. Wow. I nearly killed myself trying to do it with a crescent wrench when the bike tried to lift off the centerstand, lol... Perhaps doing this solo isn't the best idea.

I also discovered that whoever changed -something- under the cover there last time only put 4 bolts back into it, instead of all 6.
                  Sweet.

-Tim

Comment

md86... 1 1/4" nut on a Metric bike? That doesnt make any sense...
                    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

a three foot long adjustable wrench, that's what I used.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by skasner
                        md86... 1 1/4" nut on a Metric bike? That doesnt make any sense...
                        The metric equivalent of 1 1/4" is pretty much the same size , or so I'm told . I've had my front sprocket off several times with that socket , and it fits EXACTLY on that nut like it should , so I don't know what else to tell you .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                        X