X

engine tricks?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine tricks?

hi everyone, i am new to this forum, i currently own an 89 katana 750, unfortunately, i have to rebuild my engine this winter, gaskets are leaking and so on, i was wondering if there was anything i could do while the engine is apart to mabie gain some extra power? kinda like polishing the ports on a car engine....

one thing ive looked at is the gsx-r camshaft swap, i also have a 93 gixxer engine sitting in my basement, would i be able to use those cams on my katana? and if so, how much of a difference does it really make?
    Last edited by franklin01; 01-21-2009, 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

as far as the 93, that a big negative. That year GSXR was water cooled.

Comment

More Power:
      Jetkit
      Remove the weld seams from the inside of the exhaust headers just past where they connect to the engine (see my how to grind out your sloppy header weld seams webpage for more details).
      Ignition advancer.

The real question is where do you want more power (more in the mid-range, say 4-8k RPM, or more in the top-end, say 8k+ RPM)?

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      CyberPoet's Katana Maintenance Supplies & Upgrade Parts Specials
      The Best Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World (metal, aluminum, rubber), plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
      Suzuki Stratosphere 2009 - 6 Cylinders, prototype, pictures, analysis
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I don't think the 93 cams will work only 88-90 for best performance.
        If you plan on doing anything with the head don't open up the ports, rough up the intake ports if needed, polish the combustionchamber and exhaust ports to a mirror shine, port match the exhaust port to the gasket inside dia.
        You might want to check on some aftermarket and OE gasket thicknesses. Thinner gaskets will bump up the compression slightly.

Why not just put the 93 gixxer engine in there instead?
        Rebuild it if needed.

Or spend the $$$ from rebuilding and get a Bandit 1200 engine...

Personally I'm not a fan of the GSXR cams in the Kat well the 98+. With the power band moved higher, more resistance, different gearing and the heavier bike there it actually feels like less power at normal cruising speeds between 4000-6000 rpm where most of your time is spent. Above the 8500 rpm mark there is a noticable gain but how often do you plan to run it at the track where this is important.

The ideal engine upgrade is the Bandit 1200 engine with not so much HP gain but more usable torque.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

a 93' gixer engine, I'd like to see that the 93 is water cooled.

Comment

it must be a different yaer engine, cuz the gixxer engine was in my katana and i was told it was out of a 93 when i bought the bike, i bought another katana for parts and thats the engine that im rebuilding, the gixxer engine that was in my katana blew, thats why i needed the other one. but the gixxer engine that was in my katana was not water cooled, it was oil cooled like the katana...

as for getting a bandit 1200 motor...there are in short supply around here, the only engine i could find for my bike was a 03 katana motor for about $1000 with no electronics or starter or anything, so id rather pay the $100 for a gasket kit....

Comment

Where is "around here"?

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              CyberPoet's Katana Maintenance Supplies & Upgrade Parts Specials
              The Best Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World (metal, aluminum, rubber), plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
              Suzuki Stratosphere 2009 - 6 Cylinders, prototype, pictures, analysis
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah, it must be 1992 was the last year of the oil cooled GSXR motors. Don't take my word for it. Go to www.ronayers.com and search GSXR 750, where does GSXR750W start? You know what the W means? WATER COOLED
                Last edited by arsenic; 01-21-2009, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  a 93' gixer engine, I'd like to see that the 93 is water cooled.
                  That's true

I've seen a 93ish 750 gixxer water hog in a 87 600 Katana.

A friend of mine told me he had one built by Titan cycle in Dunville Ontario and told me stories of the bike doing 290kph. I always thought it was BS until I saw a pic a few months ago. He was packing up to move and came across his photo album.
                  apperently its pretty easy to shove in there and mount the rad
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

an 87?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      yeah, it must be 1992 was the last year of the oil cooled GSXR motors. Don't take my word for it. Go to www.ronayers.com and search GSXR 750, where does GSXR750W start? You know what the W means? WATER COOLED
                      yeah you are correct, the last year for the oil cooled 750 gixxer was 92, the water cooled started in 93 and im located in southern ontario, about an hour outside of toronto

Comment

in Canada GSXR 750's were water cooled in 92

Comment

im not sure, im just going by the link you gave me...

Comment

I know that link just lists US model GSXR's. I didn't know you were in Canada, it's 92 in Canada.

Comment

oh ok, so seeing as how the engine i have is oil cooled, are the cams usable for the katana?

Comment

Working...
                              X