X

new oil cooler for looks/performance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new oil cooler for looks/performance?

Being naked (tee-hee) I am wanting to do something about the ugly oil cooler, thinking a nice new shiny one like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...981538885&rd=1 may be the way to go. are there any problems i should know about when fitting something like this or would it cool the oil better then a stock cooler could?

Number one question?
    Flow.. will it flow enough oil?

Number two,
    is that any less ugly than the one you (we) have?
    I'm also interested in solutions to the ugly oils cooler. Upgrade would be nice too..
    I'm thinking pre 89 GSXR..

Comment

I saw a powdercoated oil cooler once. It looked really sharp. It was red. The fins were painted red.
      I would at least try that before...well....slapping that thing on. It looks like it belongs on a refrigeration unit....no offense.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

i wasn't saying that one exactly, just something made for a car or something. what really bothers my on the stock oil cooler is the way the lines are routed, making that loop out to the side.

Comment

look for a Bandit 1200 Oil cooler and lines. The B12 is naked already so the oil cooler and lines were designed differently for that reason. Plus there are all kinds of billet covers for B12 coolers. The downside is you are going to have to relocate your lower brackets and it *might* not clear the header.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerc
            i wasn't saying that one exactly, just something made for a car or something. what really bothers my on the stock oil cooler is the way the lines are routed, making that loop out to the side.
            oh...ok. I thot you were going to bid on that particular one and make it fit.
            Do a search for custom motorcycle oil line/hose. Or use the word aftermarket. I was fdoing a search for some bling stuff for my 1100 and I ran across some aftermarket ones that came in different colors like brake likes. I didn't keep it bookmarked cuz nothing listed to fit my bike.

Another option is to look into taking the hoses into a hydraulics shop. Have them remove your hoses from the banjo ends, if that is what you have, and install a nicer hose to them that looks better. You could also buy that hose covering that you see people use on rad hoses and stuff on cars when they bling under the hood.

Comment

I've looked into lots of ideas.
              The best ones are:
              Use bandit 12 cooler, lines are run better.

Use GSXR cooler, it is curved and the lines are run better.

Cut the rigid line off the cooler and tapping it for stainless componants.

Useing SS braided lines.. (What you don't have those in your garage??)

Comment

Damn where do you find a bandit 12 cooler?
                Didnt find any on ebay, they rare?

Comment

Wow 260 lbs but supposed to be better then stock

Thats for the 1200, they have other including a 83 750 that says it cools 15%-20% better then oem, pics sure look good.

Comes with fittings, hoses, mounts, everything

Damn now I want one, where to find on US soil......

Comment

$434 ouch
                    but you my friend have been added to daddys wish list

Comment

Originally posted by donmega
                      Damn where do you find a bandit 12 cooler?
                      Didnt find any on ebay, they rare?
                      Bandit I think are owned by adult riders so the number of crashed/blown up ones is fewer then say.... GSXRs

Comment

Originally posted by donmega
                        $434 ouch
                        but you my friend have been added to daddys wish list

https://helusa.worldispnetwork.com/s...r/HELOCK06.htm
                        that is very similar to what I came across in my search. didn't see the whole kit though. Now you have me putting something on my list wish as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                          I saw a powdercoated oil cooler once. It looked really sharp. It was red. The fins were painted red.
                          I would at least try that before...well....slapping that thing on. It looks like it belongs on a refrigeration unit....no offense.
                          I would think that if you powdercoated the fins, it'd be just like putting an insulating blanket over them. Powdercoating the surround makes sense...

If you have shops that build custom radiators in your area, they should be able to make you something to match the existing one's plumbing size/shape in a bright metal (copper, aluminum, stainless surround) for a more reasonable price than the list on that Bandit unit from the UK.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            Originally posted by Mojoe
                            I would think that if you powdercoated the fins, it'd be just like putting an insulating blanket over them. Powdercoating the surround makes sense...

If you have shops that build custom radiators in your area, they should be able to make you something to match the existing one's plumbing size/shape in a bright metal (copper, aluminum, stainless surround) for a more reasonable price than the list on that Bandit unit from the UK.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            for sure powdercoat will insulate the fins. It is not something you want to do. that is why I said the fins were painted red. It was only the framing that was powdercoated. paint was used for fins.

Comment

Working...
                            X