X

Spacers under jets?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacers under jets?

I have a question, and I'll throw a quick story in to set the stage for the question.

OK, I have a '95 600 Katana, and I went from a stage III w/ K&Ns to a stage I FactoryPro kit with a stock airbox. All went well for about a year, having had the bike dyno tuned when the new jet kit was installed. Lately, though, the bike is running rich around the 3000-4000 rpm range. I'm thinking floats, so I pull the carbs out and drop the floats 1mm. Thing is, I notice little 'dents' on the insides of the main jets where the needles rest (I pulled the jets real quick to clean them). Obvious that the needles are hitting the jets.

So I'm at my Suzuki shop and explain what I've seen and they say there should be spacers under my main jets, and I don't have those spacers. Never did as far as I know because they weren't under the stage III jets when I changed 'em out. I get the proper spacers and put them under my main jets, but now I only have about 1½ to 2 threads engaged in the body, doesn't seem right. Hmmm.

My question is: are there supposed to be spacers under the main jets when using after market jets??? Simple question for such a long story...
    My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Just posting to move this up on the list...

Comment

I just put the Factory Stage 1 kit in my bike and yes there are suppose to be spacers in there. The original Mikuni Jets are just being replaced by larger Mikuni jets so why would the spacers be removed? Hope this helps you out.
      89' Katana 600

Comment

I've installed the spacers. Thanks...

Comment

I don't have spacers under my jets....... hmmm
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I noticed that the needles were hitting the jets and leaving small "dents" on the inside diameters. That's what started me looking into the spacer deal. Look and see if your needles are hitting your jets. They may not hit depending on where the clip is set on the needle...

Comment

Well , I've also read that the jets will wear like that anyway sometimes , not from the needles . Some site (Factorypro ?) had pics of brass mains with "oblong" wear from normal use .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

MD: Yeah................here's a liny guys: http://www.factorypro.com/

About 1/2 way down the LEFT side: Mikuni/Keihin carbs........click on that and it will take you to the EMULSION TUBES photo...........

Very helpful site!

BTW: EVERY set of Kat carbs for 600's AND 750's, 89-05 that I've ever seen or heard of has spacers.........plastic donuts under the e-clips, stock or aftermarket, any stage. If they are missing, some one left them out!
                I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

spose I'll have to grab a set of those "donuts". Anyone know where's a good place to get them? Would bikebandit or ronayers have them?
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                  X