X

Revving out of control!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revving out of control!

Hello, new to the forum and need some assistance with a maintainence issue.

1992 Katana 1100
    It's my friend's but I will be riding it cross-province (Canada) back home to Edmonton. Anyways, while testing it, I found it was grossly underpowered for a motor that is supposed to make 136hp. Realized that valves and carbs have never been done.

We proceeded to adjust the valves according to Haynes instructions, re-attached gas tank, then tried to start it up. Weird thing is, once it fired up, it began revving out of control.

We have double checked our fuel line connections and they seem ok (1 vacuumline, 2 fuel lines, 1 overflow). We didn't really touch anything else aside from the valve cover, the valves adjustment screws, and the crank thingy to rotate the engine. We have also drained the carbs in case it was flooding, but no dice. What could it be?

once revving fixed, next step is carb synch (have a vacuum guage, but where to get a threaded adaptor?)

thanks much for any help or insight.

On the bottom of the carbs is a cable with a dial at the end, this is your idle adjustment. It should lead to the left side (if your sitting on the bike, the clutch side) Try turning it to see if it will lower the rpms, or when the carbs are off, try turning it to see to make sure it is turning.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

On the bottom of the carbs is a cable with a dial at the end, this is your idle adjustment. It should lead to the left side (if your sitting on the bike, the clutch side) Try turning it to see if it will lower the rpms, or when the carbs are off, try turning it to see to make sure it is turning.
      yep, tried that, still revs like crazy. also tried the choke adjustment to no avail, still out of control.

could it possibly be an error in the way we are reconnecting the tank? we didn't exactly label the hoses when we pulled them, but it seems obvious that there are 2 fuel lines (metal wrapped, with spring clips), a vacuum line that goes in the middle of the fuel tap, and a vent hose. Any mistakes there?

Comment

Mine did that a couple years ago after a carb cleaning , and it turned out I'd forgotten to close the bowl drains all the way ...
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

is it possible that you have the throttle cable hooked up wrong? are you sure the end of it is screwed in enough? take the tank and air breather off, then slide one of the slides on the carb up all the way and look inside to see if the butterfly is closed at the back of the carb.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Revving fixed

Well, got the revving problem fixed. Turns out it was the throttle cable that was waaay out of adjustment (funny, because we didn't change anything in the work we did, but anyways, it's fixed now). thanks for the help guys.

valves adjusted, checked carb synch (wasn't too far off), and most importantly, found out that only one of the four throttle slides was actually sliding. I think I saw another thread on this topic, but didn't see any suggestions other than replacing them. Suzuki wants $50 a piece for the diaphragm/slide assembly. Can't see anything wrong with them - we cleaned and lubed them, checked for pinholes, and made sure they seated properly. With loads of WD-40, we were able to get them to lift with air pressure for a couple days, but now they're back to not lifting.

What do you think it could be and how to remedy? not sealing around the lip? rubber on diaphragm too old and inflexible? leakage in other areas?

Comment

Re: Revving fixed

Originally posted by Zen
              I think I saw another thread on this topic, but didn't see any suggestions other than replacing them. Suzuki wants $50 a piece for the diaphragm/slide assembly. Can't see anything wrong with them - we cleaned and lubed them, checked for pinholes, and made sure they seated properly. With loads of WD-40, we were able to get them to lift with air pressure for a couple days, but now they're back to not lifting.

What do you think it could be and how to remedy? not sealing around the lip? rubber on diaphragm too old and inflexible? leakage in other areas?
              You can try removing them, cleaning them with dish detergent and warm water, then dry thoroughly and finally spray it down with a bit of spray silicone lubricant. While they're apart, take a toothbrush and some metal polish (or ajax in a pinch) and clean the hell out of the metal it moves over to remove any surface imperfections or corrosion that might be biting.
              If that doesn't cut it and you can't find any vacuum leaks, you may want to try locating some weaker springs or cutting down the existing springs by 1/4 of their length. And/or ordering replacements -- but not from Suzuki -- order them directly from Mikuni or from a Mikuni-specialized distributor (such as http://www.sudco.com/ ).

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My cable did the exact same thing. When I un hooked it from the carbs I pulled the sheath out of the end cap and when I reassembled it I didn't push it in far enough. My friend came to help and heasked me three times if I did anything with the cable before I went "oh shit!". Problem solved. It was frustrating.
                1995 Katana 750 for sale in Bikes for sale section.

Comment

Yeah, it was very frustrating trying to figure out what was causing the revving. At first we thought it was something we did so we backtracked meticulously, then...we hit the forums

Poet - good suggestions, thanks. I'll give them a try in the order you mentioned. Kills me that this thing putt-putts around when it should be roaring...

one thought: any consequences to using a bead of silicone or grease around the lip to improve the seal? How about trying to "revive" the rubber (not that it's all dried up or anything, but just to minimize flex resistance) with some Armour All - anyone try this?

Comment

i think I would just break down and get a new one. isn't $50 worth the knowledge that it is done right and it isn't going to leave you stalled beside the road somewhere?
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen
                      one thought: any consequences to using a bead of silicone or grease around the lip to improve the seal? How about trying to "revive" the rubber (not that it's all dried up or anything, but just to minimize flex resistance) with some Armour All - anyone try this?
                      Armor all may contain other compounds that don't help... I'm not sure. I'd use straight silicone spray (no grease, because it gets gummy over time).
                      As for the silicone bead, I'd suggest some RTV (something specific to gasoline exposure).

Originally posted by Mojoe
                      i think I would just break down and get a new one. isn't $50 worth the knowledge that it is done right and it isn't going to leave you stalled beside the road somewhere?
                      +1

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X