X

carbs suck - RUNNING OUT OF PATIENCE

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbs suck - RUNNING OUT OF PATIENCE

So I went down to the local dyno to have my bike tuned and things didn't go to well. It was a harley shop (only dyno in town) and they had just gotten a carb sync in for the first time. I had to help them set it up and sync my carbs because they didn't know how. I actually logged onto the forum while I was there and answered some of his questions....anyway. On the first run my bike showed two dips on the chart where it was going soooo rich it was off the chart. They put in smaller jets (suzuki put in 34's I believe, and we ended up putting in 24's) and the mixture was closer to optimal on the last run except there were still two dips around 4k and 7k rpm and NOBODY could figure out why. Either way I gained about 5 horsepower and my bike was much smoother and more powerfull on the ride home. Go to start it up the next day and....
    1. it's hard to start, takes a few tries and it's never had that problem before.
    2. bogs a little under 4k...sometimes
    3. I was riding along at about 30-40 and whenever I pulled in the clutch the bike TURNED OFF!!! I would have to coast to the side of the road and start back up.
    4. the idle was perfect the day before but now suddenly went to 2100 rpm and any adjustment of the idle screw put me above that or down to about 500 rpm where the bike would then die out.

I love the bike when it works but it's really started to get on my last nerve. What the heck is the problem?

It has been harleyized!!

Comment

Well , after changing jets , you'll need to adjust some other things , too . Your "dip" at 7K can probably be smoothed out by playing with the needle height . And I had a little part throttle dip at 4k I evened out by turning the pilots out a bit . Go to ...

That might help you a bit . As long as you got the right main jets in there , I believe it SHOULD be a bit easier to sort out the rest . And maybe a plug check/cleaning/change is in order . When MY bike shuts off like that , it usually meant the plugs were fouled from running too rich (hey , YOU were running rich , weren't you ? ).
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah I was running rich but I had been riding it like that for a month. Now that it's closer to where it should be this starts happening.

Comment

Yeah , but I'd been steadily leaning mine out . It got to the point where my plugs would foul out under certain conditions , or just every few weeks , and I'd need to change them . This is just what I'd do based on my experiance , FWIW .

Comment

I already have a set of plugs so I might do that. Would bad plugs cause the bike to turn off (slowing down from 30 or 40 mph) when the clutch is pulled in? I couldn't figure out how that was even connected.

Comment

Yes , it WOULD cause it to stall while idling . You can just check/clean your plugs . They'll probably still be usable . And DEFINATLEY become VERY familiar with that Factorypro link !

Comment

Thanks, I'll try it when I get home from work and see what happens.

Comment

Also, you need to be aware of the float level, it is VERY important!
                  My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

Alright so get this. It looks like the choke cable was pinched and was stuck in about 3/4 on position. After I fixed that I rode it around and it seemed to be fine. Hopefully that was it. I might still take the plugs out just incase me driving it like that got the plugs dirty. I still think if they make a new Kat it REALLY needs to be Fuel Injection.

Comment

Working...
                    X