X

Ignition Advancers and Fuel Economy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Advancers and Fuel Economy

Has anyone that's installed an ignition advancer noticed a difference in their fuel economy? I am using my Kat as my main mode of transportation these days, and I don't want to lose the 46-48 MPG I've been averaging lately!

Thanks!!
    '90 Katana 750
    V&H SSR2 Full Exhaust
    94.39 RWHP

Re: Ignition Advancers and Fuel Economy

Originally posted by LDPosse
    Has anyone that's installed an ignition advancer noticed a difference in their fuel economy? I am using my Kat as my main mode of transportation these days, and I don't want to lose the 46-48 MPG I've been averaging lately!

Thanks!!
    If you're getting that kind of mileage, either you are taking it very easy and doing only highway miles, or you're running way lean. If you didn't rejet when you put on the full exhaust (headers + can), then you are probably running way lean. This can result in future problems, and you may want to have the exhaust checked on an exhaust gas analyzer (any car place that has one will do -- although a bike shop with a dyno can do a more accurate job).
    Meanwhile, I doubt the advancer would change your fuel mileage by more than 1 to 2 mpg at max.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My fuel economy used to range about 38-44 MPG, but lately I've been trying to squeeze the maximum economy from it. I accelerate slowly and usually shift 1-3-6, keeping the revs as low as I can. On a recent trip comprised of mainly rural 2 lane highways, I achieved a best of 50.46 MPG over 165 miles.

I didn't re-jet when I got the exhaust, but I imagine that I should, as there is kind of a flat spot right around 4000RPM.

A few tanks ago, I did some 'spirited' riding in the mountains with some friends and got a dismal 36MPG. Does this sound more like what is expected?

Thanks!
      '90 Katana 750
      V&H SSR2 Full Exhaust
      94.39 RWHP

Comment

Originally posted by LDPosse
        A few tanks ago, I did some 'spirited' riding in the mountains with some friends and got a dismal 36MPG. Does this sound more like what is expected?
        I get 31 to 34 around town and truly spirited riding can drive that down further (28 to 32). But different folks have different ideas of "spirited"

Q: Do you have the California model? For some reason, they tend to be even more fuel-economic than the regular 49-state version as they ship stock, although I can't see any reason for it (unless they're closer to that ideal 14.7 fuel-air ratio as shipped from the factory than the 49-state version)...

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Whoa , I thought my 31 mpg was still terrible after a blast through the backcountry with my sister on the back ! Now I don't feel so bad !
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
          X