X

stripped the pilot jet...zomg!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stripped the pilot jet...zomg!

ok so i decided to attempt to clean the carbs on my 90 750 after reading carbs 101, and was doing fairly well until dun dun dun...i stripped the pilot jet in carb #1, the rest of them came out just fine. In my impossible wisdom, i tried to remove the stuck jet with a grabit extractor...i finally got the thing to bite, and it turned just a fraction of a degree before SNAP! the extractor shattered into 3 pieces, one still in the drill, the shaft completely sheared from the drill and cone head, and the cone head still stuck in the jet! (i thought they were guaranteed for life?!?!?!) so i got a new extractor, but it cannot drill into the same material it is made of ie the cone part that is still stuck in the jet. when attempting to drill out the old cone, the bit just walks over to the side wall, where it can potentially do damage to the aluminum carb body....what should i do? chuck that carb body or take it to a machine shop and have them try to get the jet and cone out without damaging the threads in the carb body?

as a side note anyone got an extra carb #1 body for a 90 750? i have been looking online and i can't find the exact year...is there a carb from a different year that would fit the same or am i totally SOL?

please help guys
    1990 Katana 750 +2 rear sprocket (the original) [SOLD!!!]
    1990 katana 750 -1 front sprocket (the $300 parts bike that became the runner lol) [sold!!!!]

Call around in your area and see if any machine shop has a tap buster, it is similar to a EDM but just made for getting broken taps and extractors out.

Tmod

Comment

I have a bag of bodies downstairs, I'll try to take a look today to see if I've got a #1 in decent shape.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

]I have a bag of bodies downstairs, I'll try to take a look today to see if I've got a #1 in decent shape.[/quote]

I think I saw a movie like that once.

Blackdog
        Blackdog
        DRz-400e plated
        Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

are the carbs from 1990 on this bike unique to 1990? or can i find one from '85 -'95 or something like that? just curious for a worst case scenario
          1990 katana 750 -1 front sprocket (the $300 parts bike that became the runner lol) [sold!!!!]

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            I have a bag of bodies downstairs,
            So that is where you put the banned members.... ll]<<<< (Steves basement)

2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
            BMC Notorious 918 HT
            2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Originally posted by ellshorty View Post
              are the carbs from 1990 on this bike unique to 1990? or can i find one from '85 -'95 or something like that? just curious for a worst case scenario
              Anything 90-97 should work. I don't know if the sizes were different on the 88 and 89 like on the 600's.

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post
              So that is where you put the banned members.... ll]<<<< (Steves basement)

People that ask questions like that..... well..... we know where they end up.
              Last edited by steves; 01-01-2009, 07:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

awesome thanks for the advice/ info

Comment

i found these carbs online for an 89 kat 750 would they work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...ayphotohosting

i think they look exactly the same except for the fuel filters...but i don't know
                  Last edited by ellshorty; 01-02-2009, 03:24 AM.

Comment

750 89-97 IS exactly the same

Comment

He's baaaaacccckkkk!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by ellshorty
                        i think they look exactly the same except for the fuel filters...but i don't know
                        if you ever expect them too run right, do yourself a favor a take the two inline fuel filters off.

Comment

awesome thanks for the insight btw arsenic did you get the list i pmed you?

Comment

no try again

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              if you ever expect them too run right, do yourself a favor a take the two inline fuel filters off.
                              Thats two posts of yours ive found without looking that i agree with, its a new year miracle, lets hope it continues
                              Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Working...
                              X