X

Blown rear shock?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown rear shock?

I got home from a ride tonight and when I got off the bike I heard a "squishing" sound from the rear shock. I checked the shock to see if any oil was blowing pass the seal, but it was dry. Anyone else ever hear this from their rear shock?

Are you 100% sure it was from the shock? It could have also been from the seat or front the tire...

Should be able to tell if the shock is blown simply by compressing the rear and releasing it -- if it's blown, it will yo-yo up and down several times on the spring instead of clamping down on that motion.

Good Luck!
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

99% sure it came from the shock, but it still seems to work fine. I've never noticed it before, but I've only had the bike a couple of weeks. I had a kat 600 shock on my gs500 that blew and it made a similar noise, but it would squrit oil from the top seal when I would compress and release the shock. This one dosen't seem to be loosing any oil.
      If it comes down to having to replace the shock, are there any good upgrades?

Comment

The common routes are to track down used ones from other Kats or from RF900's because of the low cost of used ones on eBay... or buy a really good aftermarket one from an established firm, like RaceTech.com

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Look on e-bay for a 98+ Katana 750 shock. It is better than the 600, but of course not as good as an aftermarket.

Comment

Just installed a brand new Ohlins. Your welcome to my old 98 600 shock. Just pay for shipping.

Bike is sold

Comment

Originally posted by Spedee
              Just installed a brand new Ohlins. Your welcome to my old 98 600 shock. Just pay for shipping.

Q: What did you pay for the Öhlins?

Curious
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Q: What did you pay for the Öhlins?

Curious
                =-= The CyberPoet
                $411
                Bike is sold

Comment

Just installed a brand new Ohlins.

....and ? how do you like it.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                    Just installed a brand new Ohlins.

....and ? how do you like it.

tim
                    So far I really like it. Firm yet not family jewel crunching.
                    Bike is sold

Comment

Working...
                    X