X

chain guide question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain guide question

hello kr...have a question for you about the chain guide. I decided to check my valves to make sure they are within limits so i followed my manual and got down to the valves. Now for sum reason i decided to remove the bolt that held the chain guide on the back of the engine(carb side) and found out that there was a washer between the case and the guide. well at least i heard it fall and then had to look it up. any ideas on hwo to get the washer without tearin the whole engine down?

telescoping magnet Or not doing that in the first place You mean #11?
    Last edited by arsenic; 12-11-2008, 10:14 PM.

Comment

The washer would have dropped straight down the timing chain galley to the oil pan, Could either remove the pan and retrieve it, or use a magnet through the oil pan drain plug, tho the washer might be too big to come out of the hole. One thing to check first, with a flash light, look down into the timing chain galley and make sure the washer is not sitting on top of the crank gear. If its not on the gear, its in the pan.
      If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
      Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

lol yep that would b the washer... but if it feel down past the chain i would pretty much be outta luck id imagine?

Comment

no you're not, take the pan off, it'll be sitting right there

Comment

hmm well it must b hung up somewhere cuz that was the first thing i did...ill have to shake the bike a lil

Comment

Ekk...

Ok, Without having ever looked at Chris' fiche I was thinking something totally different. On looking at this saying to myself "Why hasn't he found it in the pan?" Did I realize why. The washers on the outside of the block, Not inside.

Since its on the outside, it would have most likely fallen under the alternator. Which is a good hiding place that doesn't like to give up its victims well.

I apologize for the confusion, my minds been off in LaLaLand lately with the impending sale of my house and me getting the joy of dealing with having to pick through three dead peoples stuff still stored here figuring out what I want to keep.

Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

so your saying that the washer didnt fall into the case? it was on the outside? and i didnt even c the thing? wow i must be blind but that is awesome news cuz i didnt wanna tear the whole thing down! thanx newbie

Comment

I would still try to figure out where it got to....

If it did fall into the pan the oil pickup screen SHOULD keep it from being a problem...

but if it gets grabbed by the chain and moved... it COULD cause damage.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

well i havent found it in the pan so ill check by the alternator and c if it fell down there...quite frankly if its not anywhere inside the case i would jsut go get another washer

Comment

Part #11 is a crush washer, it sits between the bolt head and the block, it seals the hole from leaking oil. You wont be able to use just any washer, it needs to be a crush washer to seal properly, or you'll have an oil leak.

Usually under the alternators a good hiding place, However with the bike on the side stand and it hitting just right, it could have rolled to the left and to other parts unknown. Either way, its not in the pan unless you inadvertently lifted that bolt upward and over the top of the cylinder head while the valve cover was off and tipped the bolt and it then fell.

As I said before, I wasn't thinking the same thing till I posted my prior post saying so. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

hmm crush washer...ill pull the alternator off and check it out

thanx for all the help

Comment

no need to pull it off, theres a little room under it. If you have the left fairing off, you can look under it with a flash light and be able to get it with a magnetic reach tool or even a screwdriver. Or you can just get one from the dealer, they are cheap enough and be done.

Comment

kewl thanx again to all those who helped

Comment

I take it you found it someplace? or are you just getting back to this thread and haven't looked yet. I've always been curious on these types of responses.

Comment

Working...
                              X