X

Pissin Gas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pissin Gas

Hi all. New here and I have problems. My 89 Kat 600 is pissing gas out of the number 2 carb I was cleaning the carbs out last night as it runs like sheite right now anyhows. I came out this morning and the puddle of gas was about 4 gallons worth on the ground. Not fun to deal with on a Friday when you have to get ready for work!! Anyhow what are some of the possible solutions to this problem? I have adjusted the floats and the float spring appears to be fine but is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
    89' Katana 600

you have a badly adhusted float or your needle valve is sticking open. you could have some shit in the needle valve. also your float could be bad. depending on the kind you have, if they are old enough....they can crack at a seam and fill with gas. if it fills with gas, it woun't work. anyway....it is more than likely the needle valve stuck open.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Still wizzin

I have taken the needle out and looked at it and I just don't see anything wrong with it or the valve. I will check again. The float was fine, not a drop of gas in it. The bike actually only has 11k miles on it but it has spent most of its life tucked away in my brothers garage. The guy he bought it from let it sit for quite a while as well. Any how I will check back and post pics if that will help at all. Thanks,

89' Katana 600

Comment

I replaced the needle and no more gas at this point so life is good again. :P I am about out of gas after all this so we will see if that really took care of the problem or not. Thanks for your help Mojoe, I just needed someone to tell me to look at it again.
        89' Katana 600

Comment

got some news for ya, look at it again specifically the oil because if enough gas found its way into the crankcase you'll be riding a fireball (the yellow ones are the fastest) welcome to the hive

Comment

STOP!!!!!!

1) icekillah is on the money! If you have gas on the floor you probably have gas in the oil. check and change before riding. Not just for explosive issues but for wear issues as well.

2) If the bike floods while running it is most likely a float or carb problem. If the bike flood while parked overnight it is probably a petcock problem. Either bad or left on prime. If it was in the "on" or "reserve" position the engine would need to pull vacume to open it and allow fuel to flow regardless of what your floats and needles were doing. If it's flowing anyway in those positions it's bad. If you left it on prime the fuel will flow by gravity and flood it.
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

yes...those guys have a point...a good point. drain that oil. I didn't think of the petcock cuz mine is not like the ones you guys have. plus because you only had gas coming from one carb, I kinda ruled that out. i just figured that if all the needle valves are working ok, they would shut of the flow of gas. if the flow was that heavy and too much, then it should have affected more than just the one carb.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Well after my seeming success last night right after I posted I went back out to check again and found the SOB leaking again Well anyhow this morning I took the valve out and found that the o-ring was indeed bad so I picked up four of those and replaced. As for the fuel in my oil, you all are correct about that. I also picked up some fresh oil and plan on changing it as soon as I am confident that the leak has been contained. When Mojoe told me to check all those things I had missed the o-rings . Well anyway thanks for the advice again guys and I will post an update as soon as I know more. I am installing the Factory Stage 1 jet kit right now as well so I am dealing with that too. I have an ignition advacer on the way too. I failed emissions last week and have been really frustated as I thought I was going to be riding by now.
                89' Katana 600

Comment

Update

I have replaced all the o-rings on the valves and visually inspected the floats and the needles so I guess I am left with a bad fuel cock? I ordered one today from Mr. Motorcycle. $80 with shipping and all that. Has anyone had experience with them? They were the cheapest I found. No overnight though!!! I just want to get this bike running. Well anyhow thanks for all the advice Mojoe, Braada, and Ice. If anyone lives in Scottsdale, AZ and wants to swing by and take a look at it please let me know.

89' Katana 600

Comment

Update.

So,
                    I have just replaced the fuel cock
                    and also sealed the tank with the por-15 a few days ago.

The gas has stopped pissen from the carbs but now I can't get the bike to idle at all. When I have the choke on full the engine will run at around 3.5k but if I try to take the choke off she dies. Does this just mean that I need to adjust the idle screw? I have turned it a ways already so I am unsure?

Thanks,
                    89' Katana 600

Comment

Re: Update.

Originally posted by Cbass
                      When I have the choke on full the engine will run at around 3.5k but if I try to take the choke off she dies. Does this just mean that I need to adjust the idle screw? I have turned it a ways already so I am unsure?
                      Take the carbs off again (unless you have access to a 90 degree screwdriver, or something that will double as one, such as some flex-handled ones), turn the pilot screws down until the just barely seat against their seals, then start counting turns back up. Set the carbs to 2-5/8th turns each and see what that gives you. You may have to adjust them further afterwards, but that should be a good starting place if the jetting is still stock.

PS - hope you changed the oil first.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X