X

sprocket noise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sprocket noise

When my bike is rolling (engine off) I can hear noise from what I think is the front sproket area. I don't know how to explain well other than a loud quick clicking (the faster the bike the quicker the clicking) . Since this is my first bike I wouldn't know what the normal sound would be so I am just wanted to make sure something isn't wrong. I had my chain come apart before and damage things so I am always very cautious now.

may just be chain alignment - but i'd pull the cover off & take a look

tim

Comment

^^^^^^^^

what he said...funky link maybe, how does the chain look.

put a witness mark on the sprocket...spin the wheel...if it is at the same point, it is the sprocket....after a couple of revolutions...it is the chain

Comment

does it do it with the motor off, walking the bike around in neutral? is it a sound somewhere between a click and a clunk? my bike does that. it's in the tranny. However, my tranny was just apart and back together and nothing is out of place, soooo, I'm not worried about it. If you must find out, you could pull your chain and turn the countershaft sprocket by hand, see if you can feel it.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Yes it does it with the motor off in nuetral. The best way to do it is to roll down a decline (in nuetral, engine off) and listen to it that way. If yours does it too and everything checked out alright then I'm not really worried. I just wanted to make sure it was normal.

Comment

Check your chain and sprocket (all years), as well as the speedo pick-up (98+ only).

If your chain lifts away from the rear sprocket by 1mm when you do this, it's time for replacement of the chain and sprockets (note the picture shows about 6mm pull):

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Anyone got a good HOWTO for replacing front/rear sprockets+chain?

My dealer wants to charge most of an arm for it, so I'm more than willing to do it myself.

-J

Comment

How to what?

If you have alot of miles on the bike check the chain tension, front sprocket can be loose or worn.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Holy crap only 1mm and it's no good! I was thinkin' "Awe it don't pull that far off as it's shown in the picture, so I'm good." But then I saw you mention 1mm.... time to replace. The chain has magic red dust on it anyways, so I was planning on replacing, but that shows that it's a little more serious than I previously thought.
                  '01 TL1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mystahagy
                    time to replace. The chain has magic red dust on it anyways, so I was planning on replacing, but that shows that it's a little more serious than I previously thought.
                    Basically, if you can see any significant daylight under the chain when you pull it away, it's time for replacement. In your case, between the chain stretch and the failed O-rings, you definitely need a new chain and new sprockets all around. If you're going to tempt fate by riding on what you've got, lube the hell out of it all the time to help keep it from snapping unexpectedly (think dripping gooey oil levels here).

Good Luck with that!
                    Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

in this picture you will see where the front sprocket connects to the trans shaft.

in this picture you are or will be concerned with numbers 48, 49, 47, 44, 45, 43, and 50.

I will post a full chain and sprocket replacement if you ask nicely and when I have more time LOL
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                      X