X

Ringing noise?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ringing noise?

Well, I did a search for 'ringing' and got mostly jokes from the Lounge, so perhaps I'm not describing it right...

Anyway, sometimes when I'm at higher revs (7-9k RPM or so) I can hear this ringing sound coming from the... exhaust I believe. It's especially noticable when using the engine to slow down. Does anyone know if this is a problem that needs to be addressed? What is it that's making this sound?

Oh, and the bike is completely stock... atm.

Thanks!
    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

eehhhh. Can you explain "ringing" any better. Is it a solid tone or on and off???? Really high pitched?

Comment

Could be keys dancing on the tripple clamp, or the clutch lever bolt, take a look at those. It is very comon for the clutch lever bolt to "ring"
      if it's not one of those, get a rubber mallet and start taping round the exhaust, mountings, rear pegs, etc until you hear that familiar "ring"

Comment

Hm... this is not sounding very comforting

Let's see, I only use 1 key (loose, with no keyring) so that can't be it. I can try the rubber mallet thing later, but it really does just sound like a faint ringing sound that fades in and fades out as I slow. The ring itself has a pretty fast frequency, but it's not that loud, you kinda have to try to hear it.

Edit: Oh, and I'll take a look at the handle(s), but I'm pretty sure it's coming from the exhaust area.
        "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

the little flip up thing over the gas cap rings on my bike, try pushing on that with your left hand while riding, see if it goes away.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

turn up the radio

Comment

Rubbers

Check to see if the centre stand bumper is still in place.

It's located on a bracket welded to the mid-pipe.

Without the bumper you might get metal on metal contact
              and a buzzing noise?
              "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Tintinitus... the early warning signs... (that was humorous, but not a joke).

Could be as simple as wind over the hinge mechanism for your visor forming a vortex (or over some other edge of the helmet). Try turning your head 45 degrees and seeing if it disappears momentarily. The fact that you think it's behind you implies that it well may be at the helmet visor pivot and cover for it.

Meanwhile, you might want to check this thread:
                CyberPoet's Earplug offer...

Good Luck!
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484
                  the little flip up thing over the gas cap rings on my bike, try pushing on that with your left hand while riding, see if it goes away.
                  For future reference and the sake of digging up an old post, mine does this too. Anything I can do about it, its annoying!
                  1994 Suzuki Katana 750
                  1995 Mustang GT Convertible
                  1991 Mustang LX Hatch

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMesa8
                    For future reference and the sake of digging up an old post, mine does this too. Anything I can do about it, its annoying!
                    Two things that I'm aware of:
                    1. Place little rubber feet (the type they stick on the underside of electronics & small kitchen appliances that sit on shelves) on the cap so the lid of the cap has a damper, and/or
                    2. Add a thick lube to the hinge mechanism for the cap (very heavy grease, etc).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

got to be the acustic warning signs from the CDI 8)

Comment

It's your cel phone... answer the damn call!

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

does the noise go slower and faster with the rpm? does the noise go slower and faster with mph?
                          my bike came with little bungy straps under the seat. if i leave them loose they rattle.

Comment

It could be the cop you passed while at high RPM, I'm sure this isn't just my problem.
                            I don't have to be faster than the cop
                            Just faster than you

Comment

I hate that!!
                              Mine does that.. sounds like it's going to throw rod!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X