X

bike wont go into neutral while running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike wont go into neutral while running

friends 95 600 goes from first gear, to neutral just fine with engine off.... with engine running at any rpm, or idle, it will go from first gear to second... anyone know whats wrong? i know in my kawi, it has little bearings that locate neuatral.. any advice would be greatly appreciated

Re: bike wont go into neutral while running

Originally posted by nemethjames1
    friends 95 600 goes from first gear, to neutral just fine with engine off.... with engine running at any rpm, or idle, it will go from first gear to second... anyone know whats wrong? i know in my kawi, it has little bearings that locate neuatral.. any advice would be greatly appreciated
    (A) The Kawa has a "Positive Neutral Finder" that works differently than any other brand's tranny.

(B) On the Suzuki's (including the Kat), you should be able to find neutral from 1st (up) and from 2nd (down) with the bike running. Put the bike on a center stand, start it, and in 1st with the clutch in, tap up on the shifter lightly. This should take you straight to neutral. I have heard of many cases of being unable to fully engage 2nd from 1st, but never of not finding neutral.

(C) Both kinds of bikes (Suzuki's and Kawasaki's) use a rotator drum mechanism that rotates the shift forks. If the shift forks are bent, or the rotator drum isn't working right, in theory it could miss it (but the design is unlikely to do a 1st-2nd shift while missing N) -- far more likely is the neutral sensor isn't working right (such as a grounding issue when the bike is running), so when you find neutral, you aren't aware of it.

Check it again more closely and let us know.
    Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Does it get hard when it's cold only or all the time ? Once I snick it into first while it's still cold , neutral is nearly impossibly to find again .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I very seldom get neutral from first.... it almost always goes into second. I find it much easier to get neutral down from second. My shift linkage was also real loose for a while, which made it feel funny, and made finding neutral even harder.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

sounds like the clutch is not disengaging all the way causing tension in the tranny, which (like when it cold) makes it hard to get into neutral from 1st or 2nd gear

Comment

well, it happens everytime, and even when its hot... im sitting at a stoplight... in first gear, kick it up once, and let out the clutch, and its for sure in second.. never thought about going from second to N... i'll give that a try next time im over there

Comment

Originally posted by chriskatana
              sounds like the clutch is not disengaging all the way causing tension in the tranny, which (like when it cold) makes it hard to get into neutral from 1st or 2nd gear
              It happened to me the first two or three days riding the Kat. Stupid, but the clutch was not disengaging because of the lever adjustement. Just a couple of turns to the locknut and adjusting barrel, and problem fixed. Simple, but very important.
              D&K

Comment

Ditto Dog!! clutch is too tight, adjust and that should do the trick. when you put the bike on the center stand while running put it in neutral and if the tire still spins the clutch adjustment is too tight.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I know this post is 2 years old but im having the exact same problems so i wanted to see if anyone would find it here before i wrote the ? as another post.

my pre 98 kat also will not shift into neutral when running shifts fine when off.

I did as you guys suggested and let off the tension on the clutch cable which did work and I can now shift into n. However I have a few inches of free play in the clutch when I get to a point that its easy to shift bike also lurches pretty good when initially shifting into first with things adjusted this way.
                  A few turns on the find adj on the clutch handle and its once again impossible to shift

Im guessing I need to completely readjust the clutch and start from there. Which way do I need to go with the small adj screw (the one under the rubber cover) to fix the above problem.

I have tried following the instructions in the Haynes manual to adj and ended up with the exact same problem again

Do i need a new clutch cable or am I missing something when I do the adjustment???

Comment

Originally posted by dogodell

Do i need a new clutch cable or am I missing something when I do the adjustment???
                    There is a how to on this I think, done by one of our veterans.
                    Follow it carefully and you will have a properly set up clutch.
                    Any problems after following the instructions exactly, you need new parts!

Comment

The bike WILL lurch a bit when shifting into first at a stop , ESPECIALLY when the bike's cold . Look up the how-to Petey suggested and adjust it like that . Should clear everything up .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

thanks
                        I found the how to your talking about ill see how that works. For the most part it seems to be pretty similar to what is written in the Haynes manual.

Ill let you know how it goes tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                        X