X

Post headers fitted to a Pre

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post headers fitted to a Pre

Ive read that post headers will fit on a pre engine, only that the oil pan causes interference.

If one was to modify the headers/bolt on post oil pan to pre engine, would you be able to get a slipon for a 98s and up then?

Or would it be too long/too short? Im sure u would need to fab up some brackets for the passenger too

thanks

From what I understand, if you use the 98+ headers, you have two choices:
    (A) also use the 98+ oil pan OR
    (B) dent the pipes some at the lower turn.

Since I've never had a pre-98 Kat, I'm taking this from others who have said this...

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The headers will fit with the mods that you and cyber mentioned but the stock slipon will be too long. The actually mounting hole for the exhaust can sits about 2" too far back. If you use an aftermarket can that has a moveable hanger this shouldn't be a problem. You could also just span the 2" difference with a small piece of metal.

Comment

hmm thanks,

I think that mod might be the cheapest in the long run

Comment

Hey, I've got 98+ kat750 header on mine

Comment

I actually have a 98+ exhaust headed to me to try and fit on my 90 750. I was wondering, though.... does this all only apply to the 600's? My oil pan has a deep V-shaped sump, and I don't remember the 600's being like that. Can I still fit a post 98 full exhaust (stock) on my bike by denting the collector, or is this going to be a -dremel & welder- kind of operation? I just want my bike to be quiet, but I don't like the dual exhaust look.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

waltari, the 750 bolts up to a 600 engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
                Yes with the slight modifications Cyberpoet suggested in his post above. The 750 header also has slightly larger diameter downtubes and allows the exhaust to breath a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari
                  Yes with the slight modifications Cyberpoet suggested in his post above. The 750 header also has slightly larger diameter downtubes and allows the exhaust to breath a bit more.
                  The header pipe diameter gives it a 23% larger cross-sectional area between the 600 & 750. At the collector, it all seems to draw down to the same size (no difference in the collector-to-midpipe size nor the gasket size/part number for that interface).

At the very tail end, the differences are:
                  98+ 600 OEM Can exhaust pipe - 1.13" (+/- .025")
                  98+ 750 OEM Can exhaust pipe - 1.25" (+/- .025")

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

can you be a little more exact on the size of the exhaust pipe cyber?

that +/-.025 can make all the difference!

just kidding lol

Comment

can you be a little more exact on the size of the exhaust pipe cyber?

that +/-.025 can make all the difference!

just kidding lol
                      That was the difference between the smallest measurement taken across the inside and the largest as I went around the circle... Would you rather have it in angstroms?

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X