X

Engine surging

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine surging

Well after about 4 tanks of gas after having the carbs worked on she is acting up again. Now the problem I'm having is when I'm on the highway it feels like I'm engine breaking. I'll be doing about 65 and the rpm's will raise and lower even though my position on the throttle hasn't changed.
    I went with Special K's advise and swapped out the plugs. What I found when I pulled them was the #3 plug was fouled.

At this point I really don't want to take it back to the dealers for them to try and tweak it again.
    So if I go and purchase a carb sync tool how difficult is it to do and which tool do I get?
    This is my last attempt to get this thing working right. This was supposed to be my low buck beginner bike and is going over budget. I'm ready to just start shopping for something newer but I don't want to give up just yet.
    92 Katana 600 Project bike
    Some assembly required is my middle name!!!

Carb synch tool is easy, there are tons of posts about it...

I think you still have some dirt somewhere..

Comment

When I first went through carb woes... I pulled them and gave a quick rinse with carb cleaner. That didn't fix it, so I took them back off and then made sure I forced carb cleaner through everything. Still messed up, so I then got out the manual, and tore it completely down and I couldn't believe how much grit and dirt was still in there.(On that note, I soon installed fuel filters.)
      I was intimidated to take them apart, that's why I wasted time thinking spraying them down would fix it. Just make sure everything is labeled and in order and it's surprisingly easy. After that carb work you'll have to sync them anyways, I found a cheap one at JC Whitney that works pretty good. I don't know the link, but there's a good write up on sync'ing the carbs, someone will have it I'm sure. If you end up going this route, take your time and it'll be one more thing that you won't need a dealer to do for you. good luck-
      '01 TL1000R

Comment

Yeah I was looking at the guages there for like $45.
        92 Katana 600 Project bike
        Some assembly required is my middle name!!!

Comment

Working...
        X