X

Ivans jet kit install

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivans jet kit install

This weekend I am going to take on the task of installing the Ivans jet kit. I also will be adding a timing advancer and adjusting the valves. Do any of you seasoned pro's have any advice?

Do you have a service manual? If so read over the applicable sections then take your time doing the job. Also, at least on a post 98 Kat, you don't have to remove the fairings to do the carb removal. And as you may already realize, doing the valve adjust while you have the carbs off is easier. Have you already replaced the spark plugs? If not you may wish to consider that while your in there. Finally, while your making improvements, why not grind down those exhaust header welds.

Comment

Take your time and don't rush anything and if you run into a problem ask before anything get's screwed up.

Ivan's kit is very straightforward so you should not have any issues with that.

Advancer is much along the same lines and that should go smoothly.

Valve adjustment make sure they are the same clearance between all the valves, Don't make one set tight and another loose.

Good luck!!

Tmod

Comment

Success

GregS and Tmod, thank you both for the valuable insight. I did the Ivan kit, valve adjustment and exhaust weld today. Tomorrow I will finish with a sync and put the fairings back on. I had to start it and it sounds great even before the sync. The throttle is much more responsive and I can not wait to see how it works on the street.

Comment

Ivan's Jet Kit follow up

Bike 2002 Katana 750 11,500 miles stock exhaust
          Installed
          -Ivans Jet Kit and Timing advancer
          -Ground exhaust welds
          Feedback
          Much shorter warm up time (30 seconds)
          Able to start w/o any choke (45 degrees outside)
          Stronger pull throughout the RPM range (no dip then surge @6,000RPM)
          Throttle is much more responsive
          Noticeable power increase
          Smoother idle

Satisfaction 9 out of 10

Comment

Originally posted by drevil540 View Post
            Bike 2002 Katana 750 11,500 miles stock exhaust
            Installed
            -Ivans Jet Kit and Timing advancer
            -Ground exhaust welds
            Feedback
            Much shorter warm up time (30 seconds)
            Able to start w/o any choke (45 degrees outside)
            Stronger pull throughout the RPM range (no dip then surge @6,000RPM)
            Throttle is much more responsive
            Noticeable power increase
            Smoother idle

Satisfaction 9 out of 10
            Keep one thing in mind on the above item in red, Your running real rich or your float levels set high. My Kat would start without issue till around 27 degrees without a choke till I corrected the float height. No harm/ no foul, Just wanted to point one thing out.
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

with an Ivan's jet kit, you're ALWAYS running real rich. He recommends 4 turns out on the a/f screws, that REAL rich.

Comment

Arsenic, do you think running it this rich is ideal, or do you have a preference for a tad leaner???

I heard you're a factory pro kind of guy, would you recommend a factory pro jet kit over Ivans?

Comment

I certainly would recommend Factory Pro. Ivan's kit is great on a stock Katana. If you plan on a mod (GSXR cams, cough) you NEED FP, it has more choices for main jets, Ivan's just has 1. 4 turns out is ideal for Ivan's kit, if you want better gas milage go in a half a turn in (3.5). If you want to make that simple, Factory Pro makes "long boy" fuel screws.

Comment

Rich/lean
                    Here's what I noticed after running both ways . Lean-ish increases fuel economy . To a point . TOO lean worsens economy . Also worsens throttle response . Makes mid-corner pickup of the throttle REALLY snatchy . On the other side , too rich makes the throttle feel vague , and of course , TOO rich can lead to plug foulage , if not just carbon deposits (which ain't cool either ). and duh , rich wastes gas . Lean or rich are neither very great things . Best way to be SURE is a dyno/EGA . But I like to play with the pilots until I find that happy medium of snatchy/vague throttle response mid-corner . And yeah , most jet kits seem to like a little rich on the pilots for some reason . I think maybe it's a CYA measure in case an engine gets blowed-up , and they can't blame the maker for bad settings . Pistons don't like too lean . They can melt . YMMV , though .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                    X