X

Newbie Question and need help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question and need help

Hey guys i just got my bike not that long ago and have already put 1000Km on it and i was told that you had to clean and reoil the chain every 1000km so i need to know what is the best way of doing this and what do i use to clean it and what do i use to oil (is there a special type of oil)...steps from beginning to end would be great..Thanks in advance
    Eric - Mississauga - 01' Katana 600

The easiest way to clean is this:

Moose Chain Scrubber, used in conjunction with Sludge-Away (comes with it) and a garden hose to rinse afterwards.

The best way is to use rags or very-soft nylon-bristled brush and pure kerosene (not camping fuel) to clean it (factory method). I don't know about the rest of you, but I simply can't find pure kerosene in Florida in a small size (i.e. - sure, I can buy 500 gallons for home heating, but can't find a liter or even a gallon size)

Lube:

Owner's manual sez: use a good brand of chain oil.
    Suzuki factory service manual sez: use only motor oil.
    Best solution is to use an automatic oiler (such as a Pro-Oiler or ScotOiler), which oils your chain as you ride.

To learn more, see CyberPoet's "Understanding Motorcycle Chain Wear and Maintenance" at MotorcycleAnchor.com, makers of the world's best motorcycle security lock-down anchors -- 100% made in the USA!

Interesting tidbit (maybe):
    I just picked up one of those pump-oil sprayers that you use for cooking oils in the kitchen today during grocery shopping for the express purpose of spraying gear oil or motor oil on the chain -- I'll see how well it works for that.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hi Eric....not enough info. some chains call for chain lube, some for something else. O-ring? Not O-ring? It is usually easir if you can supply more info on what you have. The best info I can give you is buy a manual of ebay for about $30 dilivered to Canada.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

thanks a lot im going to head down to Canadian Tire tomorrow and pick that stuff up

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber
          Interesting tidbit (maybe):
          I just picked up one of those pump-oil sprayers that you use for cooking oils in the kitchen today during grocery shopping for the express purpose of spraying gear oil or motor oil on the chain -- I'll see how well it works for that.
          Is it the kind you pump up to pressurize it, then it sprays like an aerosol can? I have one of those that the ex must have forgotten to take with her. I was thinking the same thing...let me know how it works. If it works, it's going to my shop to be used there.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

o and my chain takes "suzuki oil" which i have NO idea where to buy! and they are O-rings anything else that you need to know?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric004
              o and my chain takes "suzuki oil" which i have NO idea where to buy! and they are O-rings anything else that you need to know?
              You chain can use a wide variety of oils and waxes. If you read through that web page I sent you to in the above post, you'll understand the differences. Generally, if you live in a sandy area, stick to oils.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                I don't know about the rest of you, but I simply can't find pure kerosene in Florida in a small size (i.e. - sure, I can buy 500 gallons for home heating, but can't find a liter or even a gallon size)

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                You can go to a small local airport and get a gallon of jet fuel witch is basicly an even cleaner form of kerosene. It is a little more expensive than kerosene but it is an option.
                PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
                The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by UFO8MyCow
                  I don't know about the rest of you, but I simply can't find pure kerosene in Florida in a small size (i.e. - sure, I can buy 500 gallons for home heating, but can't find a liter or even a gallon size)
                  You can go to a small local airport and get a gallon of jet fuel witch is basicly an even cleaner form of kerosene. It is a little more expensive than kerosene but it is an option.
                  JP what? (JP5?)

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

When I bought it I think it was JET A but i think they are all kerosene.
                    PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
                    The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

awesome guys thanks for your help...im going to oil it tonight as i have put over 1000km on it already and im going on a 800km trip saturday...hopefully it wont be too messy!

Comment

Jet A would be at the local airport. Military uses JP8 mostly. Either one I would say is not pure Kerosene. There are additives to make it less volatile and to kill bacteria in the fuel tanks.

Comment

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          We've got a gas station here in south texas that has a kerosene pump off to the side, sold by the gallon. I think it's the only one in the area.
                          '01 TL1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mystahagy

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            We've got a gas station here in south texas that has a kerosene pump off to the side, sold by the gallon. I think it's the only one in the area.
                            We used to have kerosene pumps here too at a few places, but they obsoleted them at the same time they made kerosene space heaters illegal to buy or get repair parts for... too many people killing themselves whenever we had a cold snap by not leaving any ventilation.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                            X