X

when do you check oil level?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when do you check oil level?

Stupid question, I suppose. Do you check the oil level when the bike is off or running? It goes down a good bit when it's running. Thanks.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

One to three minutes after the first time it runs for the day.
    In other words, start it for 2 minutes, shut it down, wait 60 seconds to 3 minutes and then check the level. See your owner's manual for more details.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

check it before a ride and once when it is a operating temperature while turned off.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I have no owners manual.... hence the question. Thank you for your responses. 'Preciate it.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I always check mine before it is run. All the oil is in the pan this way. why run it first? how do you have any advantage with that? You just have to wait until it drains back into the pan.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
            I always check mine before it is run. All the oil is in the pan this way. why run it first? how do you have any advantage with that? You just have to wait until it drains back into the pan.
            owners manual states it. i read it like you do though. i do have it on the full side - i don't let it get more than 1/2 down between the h & l. ( even though i don't recall ever having to 'add' oil other than when i change it.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
              Because, as Trinc pointed out, the manual specifies it... but also because it ensures that the filter isn't dry, that the cooler is filled, that the tranny is filled, and that the other areas which would normally not drain back in a timely manner aren't taken into consideration when checking the level. Since the primary purpose of checking the level is to make sure the oil pump pick-up will be submerged at all times, this makes sense...

I run mine a bit high... since the crank doesn't sit particularly low, I'm not overly concerned... just a bit more oil to help dissipate heat, take abuse and do it's thing.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X