X

woah wobble, Steering dampener?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woah wobble, Steering dampener?

when i was getting on the highway today i was doing aobut 60 MPH and i let go of the hadlebars, and i got the violent shakes from the handlebars.
    so i grabbed on and straghtened them out.

after i cruzin about 70MPH and it seemed so easy after to move the handlebars, also it seemed when i leaned, i was getting a wobble feeling.

i think my hedset is loose. when i jam on the front brakes, i get this clicking noise coming from the front forks/headset

not too shure, or even the front tire bolt loose, but idoubt it, the cotter pin would have been busted, then again could your rear tire alignment cause the bike to...............stoping stupid quesiton.

well any one else have any input on why this feels like it does.

also does anyone use a steering dampener on there pre98?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Lean in Lean out.
    1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
    2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
    2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
    2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Very few people use steering dampers on Kats, because they usually don't ever need them.
    I'd suggest you start by getting your tires rebalanced and checking your torque values at the various connections (headstock, axle and pincher bolts) and check the headstock bearings for play or notchiness.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Also check for bad rotors if the woble gets worse under braking. I would start with steering head, wheel bearings and tire first.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

(it is damper, not dampener... I don't think you want something that makes for "wet" steering)

Like CP said... Tire balance should be check, as should steering head torque. My Kat's head bearings were crap. If things are torqued properly and your wheels are balanced, get yourself a set of All Balls bearings from Dennis Kirk.

Depending on the age and milage of the bike, it may be time to replace those bearings anyway.
        -Steve

Comment

steve, i belive your right about the wheel/bearings, but the clicking sound that i get when braking hard on front does sound like the headset is being smashed into the seal. ill have to fingger it out hehhe
          Lean in Lean out.
          1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
          2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
          2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
          2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment

My vote is on the neck bearings. I had the same thing, replaced em with a set of "All Balls Racing" bearings and bike rides great

Comment

Don't forget, too, about tire cupping. That could have been a root cause here, and still contributing.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Originally posted by BISQ
                Don't forget, too, about tire cupping. That could have been a root cause here, and still contributing.
                Good point... Doesn't explain the clicking though.

Also, how does turn in feel? When steering head bearings go you usually notice a very non-linear steering feel. Sort of like the wheel wants to stay straight. You have to muscle the bike to turn it. Then it just want to "fall" in. The feeling makes you almost believe your front tire is flat.
                -Steve

Comment

Worn tires can definately make the front shake, check them and replace if necessary.
                  You're not old until you're dead - and when you're dead, it doesn't matter.

Comment

Working...
                  X